Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Homehub 2 and Windows 7 Homegroups

I have got the new Homehub vers 2A but it wont allow my laptop to see my desktop via homegroup sharing.  When I use my old homehub the white one not the blue one all is works fine.   It seem that there is something in the set up of the new homehub which is blocking connection.  Ironically I can connect to the laptop from the desktop computer but not the other way round. Both computers are on Windows 7 Home premium.  Any help much appreciated.

Rob

Recognised Expert

Re: Homehub 2 and Windows 7 Homegroups

[ Edited ]

Try re-running the Network Setup Wizard(s) on all the affected machines.

Some settings for the old router may have been cached?

You may need to reboot to make sure that any Network updates are applied.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Expert

Hello,

Got the same issue here.

What i have found is that the BT's Internet Security Mcafee Firewall plays havoc with the Homegroup system.

I have two PC's which sometimes work.  What i have found was to make sure that all machines are on something called a workgroup.  This can be set in My Computer, if you right click and select properties, you will see Workgroup in the 'Computer Name, domain area', click on Change Settings, here you can re-enter your computer name and workgroup.

Do the same on both machines, but make sure both machines have different computer names, otherwise both machines will cry....

Next reboot required.  Turn off firewall and setup Homegroup on first machine as host.  then link on second machine and so on.

Turn on firewall and see if you have connection.

Anyone here with firewall experience will be great to advise further.

Other than that, i hope this helps.

CG

CG Over An Out
shj
Beginner

I had exactly the problem: I installed HomeHub2, as a replacement for the original Hub1. Neither of my 2 computers could access the other's files, even though both computers were showing up in the network map.

After a couple of hours of fuitless labour, I removed each computer from the Homegroup, then rejoined. Eventually, the network presence and various file-sharing components were re-established.

Beginner

Thanks for this. You would think that BT would have posted a work around!! !! For the timebeing I'll leave the old hub connected as this works fine and all my computers can see each other!!!

Hi

I spent 2 days checking every setting on PC's, firewall checking, clock syncing etc.  At my wits end, I had the idea to re-boot my HomeHub (its version 1 so this means turing it off and on).  Shouldn't need to as updates dynamically. 

Hey presto, all sorted. . .

Regards

Ricky

Ricky,

Thanks for the advice. Did the same as you and then resorted to googling until I found your post. The re-boot worked (my HH is a version1 too) and suddenly I have a visible network again.

N.