Lee0312
Accepted Solution

How do I find my DNS?

Okay, I'm trying to find my Domain Name Servers (DNS) so I can set up a static IP on my computer. My hub is a BTHomeHub2 just wondering how do I find them with BT?, I've looked on google and it says that I have to look at my routers status page by typing my IP address into my Web Browser but I can't find them, thanks.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: How do I find my DNS?

You need to log into the home hub itself, there should be a menu option which says "Internet" or something similar. I have an old home hub so I am not sure where it is on the new hub.

Bear in mind that the DNS servers do change and some go offline, so its probably not a good idea to point to them directly.

Why do you want to set up a static IP address for your computer?

The home hub can do this for you automatically if you tell it to always use the same IP address for your computer.

You should find this option on one of the network devices screens.

On the old home hub there was an option which says "always use the same address"
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert
Somerled

[ Edited ]

Assuming you're using one of the varieties of Microsoft Windows -

1  Open a command prompt window.

2  Type "ipconfig /all"   (Don't miss out the space before the slash)

The DNS servers will be listed at the bottom of the results.

Lee0312

Thanks I found it. I need to set up a static IP for a program called "xlink kai" to work.

@Somerled that doesn't work because "Some router's act as a proxy between the actual name servers and your computer" so it just shows your Default Gateway as the DNS but thanks. :smileyhappy:
Expert
PheeragHfre

[ Edited ]

Lee0312 wrote:
Thanks I found it. I need to set up a static IP for a program called "xlink kai" to work.

@Somerled that doesn't work because "Some router's act as a proxy between the actual name servers and your computer" so it just shows your Default Gateway as the DNS but thanks. :smileyhappy:

You can normally change most of the adaptor settings & set up a static IP address, multiple DNS Servers & the netmask to appropriate settings.

(The Gateway & IP address needs however to remain within or at the appropriate address ranges.)

Setting the IP at a static address in the router seems the appropriate method as you have already discovered.

However for future reference?

This will show your adaptor settings.
netsh interface ip show config

These sets of commands can help set/remove settings from within batch files when appropriate.

netsh interface ip>set

Commands in this context:
set address - Sets the IP address or default gateway to the specified interface.
set dns - Sets DNS server mode and addresses.
set wins - Sets WINS server mode and addresses.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)