frankiep56
Accepted Solution

How do i check how many minutes/GB have been used on my BTFON?

Im new to BT and I do not fully understand this "BTFON" as far as I understand people can use my wifi and in return I can use there's.But how can I check how many mb/gb have been used on my BTFON because if its too large I might need to opt out.

Also my laptop will not connect  to my router it says "unidentified" so I have connected to a BTFON how do I tell if this is mine or somebody else's. I am currently assuming its mine due to the good signal.

Sage
john46

Re: How do i check how many minutes/GB have been used on my BTFON?

[ Edited ]

your fon usage can be seen by logging into the bt fon website you  do not need to opt out  just stop  connecting if you go close to the limit 

as to your own connection this link may help http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/wireless/hub3_wireless.html

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
imjolly

the btfon usage does not count towards your data limit

the btfon will have same ssid as your hub

did you install the bt cd?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
frankiep56

[ Edited ]

@imjolly yes i installed the CD, when I "search for networks" it just says BTFON. So I connect to my BTFON i wont use up my internet usage?

frankiep56

Thank you so much I can now connect to my router wirelessly. I just cant believe it was that easy!
Sage
imjolly

what I was going to say was if you installed the bt cd then I would uninstal it as it can cause wifi problems and better just letting windows manage your connections

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Cbelfield

This seems to be the most recent thread regarding BT FON, and my question(s) is/are somewhat relevant to the OP's post. 

I have been using the BTFON service in order to download hd films off itunes. Already this month I have, according to BT, used over 8000 minutes which averages out at about 11 hours a day. What also strikes me as bizzare is the fact that the BT broadband usage meter appears to be going up despite me not connecting to the home network as much as i have the FON network. My home broadband speed is around 7mb/s down and 0.9 mb/s up, and on the FON network it is around 3mb/s down and the same up. I thought the speed for FON was limited to 0.5 mb/s down? 

I would greatly appreciate a response, as I would not be looking forward to a hefty bill if i were to run over my 40gb usage. 

Sage
john46

just one point fon only connects at 512k and you cannot upload at more than 1.2mb it sounds more like you are connecting to your normal service for those speeds however your also fon disconnects after every 2hours to prevent heavy down loads something about your connection is not correct
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Cbelfield

[ Edited ]

Here is a speedtest using FON:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1889925945.png

Here is a speedtest using normal network:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1889928800.png

I have also been using a plugin on google chrome which auto refreshes the page every 10 minutes, allowing me to remain connected. I have solved one part of the problem, my minutes total appears to be so high because my phone was seemingly on continuous connection to FON. However this still doesn't explain the high(er) speeds than what should be going on for FON.

Sage
john46

your links are not working i am sorry to say