Kelfielddegsy

How many GB's. How do you know?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and BT broadband, but I would like to know how do I find out how many GB's I am using a month? I have signed up for 10GB and my son is online gaming with this. Will he over use my limit or should it be enough. Also, what is classed as a download, as I think I am correct in saying that each page I open on the internet isn't classed instantly as a download. I am a bit of a technophobe so if these questions seem a bit stupid, please forgive me. Any answers greatly appreciated. :smileyhappy:

Derek.

Aspiring Expert
Sweeney47

Re: How many GB's. How do you know?

[ Edited ]

Welcome Kelfielddegsy,

The truth is, you dont know what your current usage is. BT do not supply a way tracking current usage. There are a number of things you can do to get a rough idea, these include downloading Usage Monitors from the internet which should track your usage, however, there are some reports of viruses on these so I have never downloaded one myself, its a risk that comes with downloading anything on the internet. You can ring BT to find this out however I do not know the number.

Opening a page isn't really known as a 'download' in the same sense as say downloading a music track however your internet downloads the information on the website so it all adds to your usage. So basically the more you surf the more usage you rack up, on the whole a normal webpage doesnt use much usage. Streaming content off Iplayer and Youtube etc will use a lot of usage and if you are using youtube, I recommend you make sure you're watching in 360p. To do this on each video near the bottom right should be a number, you want to click it and set it. The higher the number the better quality it is and the more it 'downloads'

As far as online gaming is concerned, it really comes down to what games he is playing. Just to give you a rough example. I play Eve Online which is a massive multiplaye online game, this game an be played on a 56k Connection (which isn't even broadband). However I also play Age Of Conan which you would be lucky to get anywhere with a 56k  connection because it uses so much more usage. If he's playing games like Modern Warfare 2 which automatically picks the host, there is a chance he might be picked which will spike your usage as he's not only 'downloading' but 'uploading' to the other players on the server. Generally though he would probably struggle to use a total of 10GB usage in a month but it comes down to what else is done on the net asides from gaming.

Hope this helps.

Kelfielddegsy

Great info Sweeney, thank you very much!

Aspiring Expert
happyslayeruk

I use Network Monitor II thats available as a gadget for Windows 7 or Vista, it has a counter that you can reset whenever you want. I reset it every month.

It can be downloaded from here http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=4f9274ce-427b-4063-868f-894079283b2c&bt=1&pl=1

John-W

Hi Derek

I had the same question as you and just phoned BT. I was astonished to learn they have no on line facility to check your data usage, unlike other providers where your data usage is 2 clicks away. They did however give me a phone number - eventully connecting to a human being, not robot, who was able to tell me my data usage to the nearest Mg. The number is 0800 800 030.

Hope that helps.

John

grannysue

Hi, I was relieved to hear that I am not the only one with this querry. My son is visiting, and is on the computer eight hours a day - surfing the net, facebook and chat lines. I am happy for him to do this, but do wonder how much extra this will cost me? Have 10gb allowance.

Aspiring Expert
Sweeney47

providing he doesnt spend most of those 8 hours steaming videos or looking at peoples pictures on facebook etc you should be fine... hopefully

If not, get him to pay you the bill if he goes over :smileyvery-happy: