Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

How many times do you have to tell the call centre the same thing - MY SPEED IS SLOW!!

I have had excellent service from BT with a line speed of some 7.5 to almost 9 meg download and around 1 meg upload.

Recently my download speed slowed dramatically to 400k BUT the upload speed stayed the same.

When I could no longer use iplayer Utube or any TV on demand I tried to call the fault reporting.

First on Friday I spent almost an hour trying everything wireless change channels - Socket unplug the house and go to the main ( carrying my PC and router up two flights of stairs)

I eventually was put to a supervisor who said he understood that its a problem with the exchange and promised to do something.

Friday passed along with Saturday Sunday and Monday, repeated speed tests show aprox 400K download both on BT system and also on external speed checks. Interogating my router for DSL speed also confirmed upload 1 meg and download 400k.

Tuesday - rang back and had all the same questions are you on wireless? Expecting this I had already changed to wired.

Next question back to main sockets vice extensions, again, Having explained the supervisor from Friday already checked this and was going to get it fixed - I had to refuse to move my setup upstairs again since I had already done it twice on Friday.

Has there been a storm? of course UK has storms BUT I tried to explain that if the line is noisy or wet both uplink and downlink normally fade together. 

I asked what progress had been made ? They did not seem to have any update and limited information - SURELY BT take notes and put them on the system?

Eventually I had another supervisor - after explaining everything he conceeded that the first supervisor on Friday did nothing.  He then again asked to recheck the line and for the 4th time got the same results as me 400k down 1 meg up. He also tried to ask about wireless which I had eliminated and router - OH mine is a belkin not BT hub so that caused consternation. He after what seemed ages went away to test the line again and the phone of course dropped out as it will if your testing. He never rang back either.

In order not to have more of the same I connected the BT home hub supplied by BT and set it up and tested the speed - Guess what the speed was identical on the BT hub as my Belkin but at least they cant blame that.

Being totally frustrated I tried again and got another operator - and yes they wanted mainly to talk about my wireless being the problem I quickly explained its wired which kind of threw them - yes your right the main socket issue came up again but seriously Im not lugging all that kit upstairs again when Ive already done it. The inevitable test the line took place and yet again for the 4th time the results were identical - max 400k download ( 1 meg up).

After having to become very forceful this person agreed that OK I had done all the tests ( several times). When I asked what was on the system for the fault and who dealt with it last time - nothing.

They agreed to send me an email which I have got and also this time to reset my profile? What profile and why was it not set before?  I have now been told my speed will increase over 48 hours - currently its not yet changed!

I expect that I will probably have to go through all this again, why dont they write down whats been done so you dont have to what a waste of all our times.

Well as you may tell Im not terribly happy with this and dont have confidence that it will get fixed - which means its probably going to be bad over christmas - I dont normally write to furums and having been an engineer all my life and pretty good with PC's I found the whole experience very frustrating. Anyone know what changing the profile may do and does it really take 48 hours?

Distinguished Sage

Re: How many times do you have to tell the call centre the same thing - MY SPEED IS SLOW!!

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor

Re: How many times do you have to tell the call centre the same thing - MY SPEED IS SLOW!!

Latest no speed change after 24 hours not one tiny bit - so much for it increasing gradually to the old maximum.

Stats

BT speed check gave me Downstream 468  IP Profile 506

Upstream 929 IP Profile 1135.

Much the same as I have got for the past week and also get on either router and still get after a supposed profile reset.

Checks on mybroadbandspeed.co.uk which I have been keeping for 12 months show its down from more than 7 meg to 400k.

Anyone know why the DSL link shows a better uplink than downlink - Faulty DSLAM ?

Router stats? ADSL ( Belkin)

ADSL Language
 Type  Current LangugaeEnglish
 StatusNo Defect Available LangugaesEnglish  Deutsch  Français  Español

Downstream   Upstream
 Data Rate(Kbps)
         574                  1103
 Noise margin (dB)
         31.3                  6.1
 Output power (dBm)
         0.0                  12.7

Attenuation (dB)
         30.0                  14.6

Distinguished Sage

have you been having problems with the router dropping connection? if so and with all the changes requiring disconnecting/reconnecting as you try and get the speed back I think the exchange has put you in a banded profile until your line stabilises/  Banded profile has nothing to do with the ip profile you see when running btspeedtester.

your connection speed of 575 and your high noise margin of 30+ certainly suggests a banded profile.

if you can maintain your connection 24/7 with no disconnections for 3+ days then the banding should release and your connection go back to normal. if you do get to 3+ days stable connection and speed/noise margin still the same as now then contact the mods to get assistance getting out of the banding  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

Thanks IMJOLLY.

Its still much the same so have sent a request to the URL you provided. Hope they can sort it.

Its several weeks since it started getting worse and over a week since first tried to report it.

Its remained solid for several days on the DSL side but speed has only improved by almost nothing stats below

DSL Language
 Type    
 StatusNo Defect   

Downstream   Upstream
 Data Rate(Kbps)
         574                  1139
 Noise margin (dB)
         31.8                  6.7
 Output power (dBm)
         0.0                  12.3

Attenuation (dB)
         29.5                  14.5

Distinguished Sage

mods can take up to 3 days to contact you so just stay connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

OK Thanks will try to sit tight and wait for someone to help.

I Have not disconnected or touched it for more than 3 days now its been bad for nearly 4 weeks but abysmal for the last week and a half.

It sems mad that the exchange has a mind of its own and seems to do this capping thing that I had not heard of iis this something new with ADSL2 ?

Stats today much the same:

ADSL Language

Downstream   Upstream
 Data Rate(Kbps)
         574                  1139
 Noise margin (dB)
         32.5                  6.7
 Output power (dBm)
         0.0                  12.3

Attenuation (dB)
Distinguished Sage

you don't show the connection time.  just because you have not disconnected does not mean that the router has not dropped connection.  you need to get 3+ days connected to the internet not just 3 days with the router plugged in and not touched.

Aspiring Contributor

WOW not 5 mins after my last post something has changed !! Big time Ive never seen 13 meg before on the ADSL?

I hope it settles and stays this is better than the previous max of 9 MBit downstream.

Thank you all for your help and the Mods too if they have changed something?

Just off to try iplayer which could not even load the start screen last night.

Speed from myBBSpeed website

Date Download Speed Upload Speed

Today 10:5611422 kbps (1.43MB/s)879 kbps (110kB/s)

ADSL router stats

Downstream   Upstream
 Data Rate(Kbps)
         13466                  1087
 Noise margin (dB)
         6.0                  6.6
 Output power (dBm)
         0.0                  12.4

Attenuation (dB)
Distinguished Sage

enjoy  looks great:smileywink: