Beginner
deveritt

Hub 3 S/W Ver. 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) - often refuses to provide a DHCP address over WiFi

I have 5 desktops wired and 3 notebooks connected by wifi and all was well with Home Hub 2. The addition of Infinity and Home Hub 3 has produced a problem with 2 of the notebooks in that a few times a day they seem to lose their DHCP provided IP address and drop to Limited Connection (ie 169.xxx)

The cure is to power cycle the Home Hub (router), which is becoming a real pain. The Only difference between the 3 notebooks is that one is 802.11n and the other two are 802.11g capable.

This suggests that the Home Hub 3 has a serious errata in that for some reason its connecting to the 11g notebooks but in the negotiation for the IP address is refusing to provide one if they machines are 11g.

I can hear your engineers suggesting I drop the connection type from 11b/g/n to 11b/g .... weak chaps, very weak.

Can I ask for a proper cure, some real engineering effort by the providers of the Hub and a S/W update that cures 11g connection to the 11n hub. After all, I do not want to reduce by WiFi connection speed on my 11n unit do I?

Thanks,
Dave

Sage
john46

Re: Hub 3 S/W Ver. 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) - often refuses to provide a DHCP address over WiFi

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Hub 3 S/W Ver. 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A) - often refuses to provide a DHCP address over WiFi

As John has said, this is purely a BT customer to customer help forum, but you will find plenty of suggestions from the community members.

Unless you plan to transfer large amounts of data over wireless, from another 802.11n device, or an Ethernet connected computer, 802.11g which operates at 54Mbit, is normally faster than your broadband connection, so 802.11n offers no advantage at all.

There is only a single radio module in the home hubs, so its transmit and receive rate, is determined by the slowest device that is connected. Some routers have dual channel radio modules which can deal with both 802.11n and 802.11g together.

The problem with the DHCP server failing to renew the lease, is a known problem, and I doubt that BT would have the time to reproduce this intermittent problem. It may simply be a shortage of memory (RAM).

What I have suggested to people, is that any computer on your network that is not used elsewhere, is assigned a static IP address, outside of the DHCP range of the home hub. I use static addressing on my network, apart from my HTC mobile phone, although I am only using a HH1 on ADSL2+. I also use a separate wireless access point, not the HH1.

There is some general help with wireless here Wireless Help

Towards the end, there is a bit about static IP addresses.

Most routers provided free by ISPs, do tend to be fairly basic. Many people have changed the HH3 for one that has better facilities, and is more reliable.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.