Aspiring Contributor
stuartagrant

IMAP Email access

Has anyone managed to setup Outlook to access email via IMAP instead of POP3? I have had a couple of emails from BT support saying it is possible with the following settings but I cant get it going and have my doubts the settings are correct...

Incoming and outgoing mail servers

mail.btinternet.com

Port 25 and Port 143

username is email address without @btinternet

Have tried many combinations, but think they are barking up the wrong tree??

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

Re: IMAP Email access

some good advice would be to uninstall outlook and instead download/install livemail (also from microsoft) livemail looks and feels similar to outlook, has all the common webmail connections preset into it (yahoo,hotmail,gmail etc) and doesnt suffer fro mthe same problems as outlook.

it runs imap,smtp and pop accounts no problems all you have to do is type in your account details.

the only problem you get is if you close the livemail program then try to open it later without a reboot, this cna be overcome by endign all the task associated with livemail or simply restarting the pc, or dont close it down.

just dont have it run on startup,or it can take forever to get the pc to a useable state (conflicts in the startup runtimes) just have it as a desktop icon.

outlook wont be supported except for enterprise clients from latter this year (thats generally big buisness's) so its a bad choice for people as a desktop mail client.

the windows live download take a short time to work and it comes with a whole bunch of option software (not required) just select the options you want and uncheck the boxes for the rest or it.

actually it might be able to import the settings from outlook and copy things like the calendar across, i know it sync's any online calender from msn/hotmail accounts if you want it to,

hope this helped :smileyvery-happy:

Aspiring Contributor
stuartagrant

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Already tried it with Windows Live Mail but still cant connect to IMAP.

Cant see why Outlook wouldnt work as I've used IMAP servers before with it and really need to keep Outlook to sync with my Smartphone.

Guru
Andy_N

stuartagrant wrote:

Hi,

Already tried it with Windows Live Mail but still cant connect to IMAP.

Cant see why Outlook wouldnt work as I've used IMAP servers before with it and really need to keep Outlook to sync with my Smartphone.

Hi Stuart.

You might like to utilise the Yahoo! server (for pop) :-

imap.mail.yahoo.com

with port 143.

Make sure that your whole email address (including @btinternet.com) is included in the account settings.

Guru
Andy_N

NanoTm wrote:

some good advice would be to uninstall outlook and instead download/install livemail (also from microsoft) livemail looks and feels similar to outlook, has all the common webmail connections preset into it (yahoo,hotmail,gmail etc) and doesnt suffer fro mthe same problems as outlook.

There is actually no need to uninstall anything, all that is needed is to get the correct settings. Installing livemail would still need the correct info for btinternet, albeit using Yahoo! servers.

Aspiring Contributor
stuartagrant

Nope....can't get logged on to imap.mail.yahoo.com

Have tried username with and without @btinternet.com

Also tried changing security to SSL (port then deafults to 993)....TLS and AUTO and still nothing

Guru
Andy_N

stuartagrant wrote:

Nope....can't get logged on to imap.mail.yahoo.com

Have tried username with and without @btinternet.com

Also tried changing security to SSL (port then deafults to 993)....TLS and AUTO and still nothing

Strangely I didn't believe it worked, but perhaps it's just for mobile type access ....

Is there any reason for using imap with Outlook ?

Aspiring Contributor
stuartagrant

Want to use imap so everything remains in sync....iphone etc.

Have used webmail as a workaround but would prefer offline access to email on the PC

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

[ Edited ]

imap is the incoming mail server and smtp is the outgoing mail server for @googlemail address's
other than that there is also the fact outlook support for some mail types has been withdrawn and or is gettign withdrawn in the near future.

as for the smart phone sync, is there a special reason for why it syncs to outlook over other better products or is it some strange windozzzz ce thing? afik there is a way to link your wince mobile to other options like livesync for livemail personally i dont but then i dont have a smartphone that i need to sync with.

also btinternt is a pop client

and the iphone should still sync with the mail program and if not then its cos its an expensive gimick toy from craple, if you had said it was a blackberrry, nokia or some random chinese made smartphone running either symbian or wince i wouold of suggested changing the settigns in the email setup for the phone, but iirc iphones are locked up bits of junk that cost way to much and only work when apple says so.

Aspiring Contributor
stuartagrant

Do you actually have a clue what you are talking about, or what my original question was?