Guru
Andy_N

Re: IMAP Email access

stuartagrant wrote:

Want to use imap so everything remains in sync....iphone etc.

Have used webmail as a workaround but would prefer offline access to email on the PC

Hi again.

I've not actually seen anything to actually suggest that imap is available for btinternet users, other than a mobile phone access reported in here a month back - even then, there has not really been anything of concrete evidence that I've seen.

Over the years, imap wasn't provided - but whether access was available by direct yahoo! email access I'm not sure.

As another workaround, you could always set Outlook to leave messages on the server (one of the account properties advanced options) - at least that way you can access the emails from anywhere. Of course you would need to set the same option on all devices you use to access the emails. I suppose the problem comes when you're sending stuff, as those sent messages will only appear on the device sending (unless, as you say, you use webmail only).

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

wait your asking why the buggy junk that is outlook wont allow you to make an imap mail connection to a webmail service that doesnt offer imap for desktop connections and calling me clueless because i mention that the iphone a huge waste of time and money, and mention that appart from being the latest must have icon gadget for the masses its actually a ridiculous steaming pile of over controled rubbish?

or are you questioning the logic of changing the mail accoutn setup in the phone itself? i have to ask since my cheap naff mass produced nokia smartphone (which i dont have to buy stuff from the manufacturer or there partners in order to use the way i like) does have the ability to change mail types (pop imap smtp etc) and not to mention will sync with the livemail program?

and i quote from the yahoo page
Setting up BT Yahoo! Mail in Outlook 2002 or 2003
Print this page

Please note: Outlook isn't the same as Outlook Express

Microsoft Outlook 2002 & 2003 allow you to add a new email account to your existing profile. This means that you do not have to replace your current settings to send and receive BT Yahoo! Mail messages.

Start configuring your email:

From the "Tools" menu, select "Email Accounts". You may have to click the arrows.
Select the radio button next to "Add a new e-mail account" and click the "Next" button.
Select the radio button next to "POP3" and click the "Next" button.

Enter the following information:

User Information
Your Name - Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
Email Address - Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address, this is the same as your username, including the "@btinternet.com" or "@btopenworld.com" part.

Server Information
Incoming mail server (POP3)- mail.btinternet.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP)- mail.btinternet.com

Login Information
User Name - Enter your full BT Yahoo! email address including the "@btinternet.com" or "@btopenworld.com" part.
Password: Enter your BT Yahoo! password.

Don't check the box next to "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)".

Continue with configuration
Click the More Settings box and select the Outgoing Server tab.
Check the box next to "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication".
If you would like to keep a copy of your email messages on the BT Yahoo! Mail server, select the Advanced tab. Check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server".
Click the OK button.
Click the Next button on the Email Account Wizard, then click Finished.

Repeat the above process for each mail account you want to set up, including sub accounts. Each sub account will have a different email address and password.

Automatically authenticate your BT Yahoo! Mail SMTP server
IMPORTANT: The BT Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires Authentication. To automatically configure your email program to be able to send and receive BT Yahoo! Mail, just click on the button below:

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

Andy_N wrote:

As another workaround, you could always set Outlook to leave messages on the server (one of the account properties advanced options) - at least that way you can access the emails from anywhere. Of course you would need to set the same option on all devices you use to access the emails. I suppose the problem comes when you're sending stuff, as those sent messages will only appear on the device sending (unless, as you say, you use webmail only).

i would like to point out there that in most desktop mail clients there is an option to copy sent messages to the server as well, although that only works if your messages are sent via there own mail servers (as in for each account) and apart from outlook with its insitance on there being a primary account most other clients will and do send mail via each account configured properly.

Guru
Andy_N

NanoTm wrote:

Andy_N wrote:

i would like to point out there that in most desktop mail clients there is an option to copy sent messages to the server as well, although that only works if your messages are sent via there own mail servers (as in for each account) and apart from outlook with its insitance on there being a primary account most other clients will and do send mail via each account configured properly.

Hi NanoTim.

Can I ask if you actually use btinternet email ?

Can you give me an example of this option to store sent messages on the server in say Thunderbird and Windows Mail ?

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

if i used either of them i could, like i said before i use livemail programs thease days, which is much easier to configure, however under option, send tab there is a chack box to save a copy to the sent item folder, when the client sync's wit hthe mail server it there for puts a copy there as well, the same is true of most mail clients and whilst i know that option was present in older versions of outlook i stopped using outlook once the office 2k version stopped working with hotmail and btinternet.

and as for thunderbird or windows mail i dont currently have copies on my pc so i'm afraid if the check box isnt there then no i cant, and if the individual accounts cant be setup with there own server settings (no primary or default account) with mesaages being saved to the sent items file in each account then sync'd to the server again i cant offer a reason for this.

and yes i do use btinternet, well at least i use it for contact with bt and a few other companies but since i tend ot move house a lot in the past my primary account is and probalby always will be a paid for hotmail one so i dont loose contact with people.
Aspiring Contributor
stuartagrant

Let me try and explain.

The iPhone works perfectly with BTYahoo Mail...all folders sync to the servers properly as well as calendar and email. I dont need to change anything on it....if you dont know how to use one / can't afford it or whatever, don't slate it......consider how many Apple have sold, perhaps your view is slightly blinkered?

The Windows Smartphone works properly...all folders sync properly and I use Outlook 2007 (and yes thanks I know it is a different program) because I can sync contacts, email, calendar, appointment etc to the phone through Outlook...Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird etc etc is not supported.

You have managed to cut and paste instructions on how to set up a POP3 account in Outlook...I am quite capable of setting this up without instructions.

I have had 3 emails today from BT saying they DO support IMAP access to their servers...as the settings they sent do not appear to work, I am trying to confirm if they have sent the correct information and whether or not anyone else has managed to configure a desktop email client to access BT email using IMAP.

Please note, I am referring to BT and not Googlemail which you keep referring to...

Guru
Andy_N

NanoTm wrote:
if i used either of them i could, like i said before i use livemail programs thease days, which is much easier to configure, however under option, send tab there is a chack box to save a copy to the sent item folder, when the client sync's wit hthe mail server it there for puts a copy there as well, the same is true of most mail clients and whilst i know that option was present in older versions of outlook i stopped using outlook once the office 2k version stopped working with hotmail and btinternet.

and as for thunderbird or windows mail i dont currently have copies on my pc so i'm afraid if the check box isnt there then no i cant, and if the individual accounts cant be setup with there own server settings (no primary or default account) with mesaages being saved to the sent items file in each account then sync'd to the server again i cant offer a reason for this.

and yes i do use btinternet, well at least i use it for contact with bt and a few other companies but since i tend ot move house a lot in the past my primary account is and probalby always will be a paid for hotmail one so i dont loose contact with people.

I'm afraid you are talking about livemail, and hotmail system specifics - not btinternet. There is no option in windows mail or thunderbird to store "sent" items at the mail server. Each and every account on mail clients can have their own individual settings, but Imap is a completely different animal.

Is there an option on a livemail account to store messages on the server when livemail is *not* being used for hotmail and being used for ISP accounts such as BTinternet >

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

[ Edited ]

yes i use it quite often

my accounts on my livemail client are 3 @hotmail (pop) 2 @msm (pop), 3 @btinternet (pop) 2 @gogglemail (imap) and regardless of which account i write the email in and send it from there is always a copy left in the sent items folder on the server if i go to it via a browser, seting the client to leave mail on the server and sync delted items also is a good idea since it actually leaves all mail on in both places (can take a while to run a sync if you do a lot of change on one or other device) and i only ever sync one email account +the shared calender to the mobile from the pc, although i did setup the mobile to only download headers for the inbox on request (as in when i choose to check my email) and ignor other folders, any mail i send from the phone i have to sync to the pc client and then it can bee seen via browser (i cant find the setting in the phone to leave sent items on the server)

btinternet doesnt actually make the rules its the mail client that does that, and havign been struggling with various different desctop clients over the years i can honestly say livemail does what outlook used to (before ms start messign it up) and then some more on top, but then i find it also fits my needs better than anythign else i have used before and rarely has problems after the intial setup issues i had (didnt make the right settings for some of the accounts) and as for btinternet mail no dramas at all.

then agian i'm still usign the clasic version atm so maybe i will get a few if i migrate to the new version, which i wont be doing untill i can actualy see half the account pages via the browser, all of the ones that either return error's or nice polite were building the page messages.

ahh i think i miss read your question a bit,

i use livemail for everything and i send /receive each accoutn independantly through there own pop/imap/smtp servers and they all work the same.

i have heard a lot of people talking about issues with mail clients not sending /receiving or saving messages on the various servers and 90% of those problems are to do with there setup, if you use a single smtp server to send all outgoing mail then it wont work, the save to sent folders actually copies the mail sent to the client sent folder of the acount used and then syncs it to the mail server (it can add or delete messages as required) as i found out one time by being a bit dopey and simply telling a whole load of emails to move into the wrong sub folder (from a hotmail accoutn inbox to a bt account personal one)  all the messages had disapeared from the hotmail account the next tiem i tried to access them, took me weeks to find them and that was only by chance.

Guru
Andy_N

NanoTm wrote:

yes i use it quite often

my accounts on my livemail client are 3 @hotmail (pop) 2 @msm (pop), 3 @btinternet (pop) 2 @gogglemail (imap) and regardless of which account i write the email in and send it from there is always a copy left in the sent items folder on the server if i go to it via a browser, seting the client to leave mail on the server and sync delted items also is a good idea since it actually leaves all mail on in both places (can take a while to run a sync if you do a lot of change on one or other device) and i only ever sync one email account +the shared calender to the mobile from the pc, although i did setup the mobile to only download headers for the inbox on request (as in when i choose to check my email) and ignor other folders, any mail i send from the phone i have to sync to the pc client and then it can bee seen via browser (i cant find the setting in the phone to leave sent items on the server)

btinternet doesnt actually make the rules its the mail client that does that, and havign been struggling with various different desctop clients over the years i can honestly say livemail does what outlook used to (before ms start messign it up) and then some more on top, but then i find it also fits my needs better than anythign else i have used before and rarely has problems after the intial setup issues i had (didnt make the right settings for some of the accounts) and as for btinternet mail no dramas at all.

then agian i'm still usign the clasic version atm so maybe i will get a few if i migrate to the new version, which i wont be doing untill i can actualy see half the account pages via the browser, all of the ones that either return error's or nice polite were building the page messages.

ahh i think i miss read your question a bit,

i use livemail for everything and i send /receive each accoutn independantly through there own pop/imap/smtp servers and they all work the same.

i have heard a lot of people talking about issues with mail clients not sending /receiving or saving messages on the various servers and 90% of those problems are to do with there setup, if you use a single smtp server to send all outgoing mail then it wont work, the save to sent folders actually copies the mail sent to the client sent folder of the acount used and then syncs it to the mail server (it can add or delete messages as required) as i found out one time by being a bit dopey and simply telling a whole load of emails to move into the wrong sub folder (from a hotmail accoutn inbox to a bt account personal one)  all the messages had disapeared from the hotmail account the next tiem i tried to access them, took me weeks to find them and that was only by chance.

For the benefit of other folk, could you explain what you need to set in the account settings of a "livemail btinternet account" in order for sent messages to be stored on the server please ?

The exact steps needed would be very handy.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

[ Edited ]

sure,

it will take me a few hours to do it though and it'll have to wait untill after i rebuild the laptop i took apart last week, i'll go from the download of livemail in the how to right through to the having everything working :smileyvery-happy:

but it might be a few days before the last two parts i need arrive :smileysad:

actually having been looking through some things today since that last post, it would appear that the btinternet mail accounts no longer sync anything apart from the inbox, this could just be a problem caused by there changing of things on the server's since it used to work fine, that is only the standard folders appear (inbox,junk,outbox,draft.sent) and only one syncs i know this since i have a lot in the other folders although there not updating, however all other webmail acoutns still fully sync.

would be nice if there had been a funcationality change emal or notice or a statment about this on login but no i guess thats not the way to do buisness atm.