Aspiring Contributor
BarryW
Accepted Solution

Incoming telephone calls cause broadband to drop out

I have searched this forum for an answer but I have not found any others on the forum with the same problem.

The problem is that every time we receive an incoming telephone call our Broadband connection drops for around 30 seconds. My neighbour also has the same issue and is also using BT Broadband. I have another neighbour who has a Broadband connection at the same exchange but using Zen Internet (using Zen hardware in the exchange) who has never had this problem.

We are using a BT home hub which was newly installed a few months ago. There are no extensions to the master socket which was replaced by BT during a recent line fault call. We mentioned the problem during that visit, the BT Technician seemed to think it was a line connection issue but was not able to fix the problem. We are currently connectiing to the router via a Cat5 cable and are not regularly using WiFi.

Any suggestion welcomed, thanks.

Sage
imjolly

Re: Incoming telephone calls cause broadband to drop out

have you tried a new filter into the test socket and then see if phoning home number drops the connection.  if so it sounds like you have a high resistence fault on your line and need to report a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
BarryW

Thanks for the prompt response. I have replaced the filter and will test it over the next day or so.

Aspiring Contributor
BarryW

Just had an incoming call and our Broadband dropped out. Will call 151 tommorrow.

tonyw73

Hi,

Just wanted to say, I'm having the same problems, 

whenever the phone rings my connection drops, even lifting the handset can cause it,

I'm now on my third homehub 3, and the next option is an engineer visit,

I was with sky previously and didn't have any problems with the connection dropping,

and before them I was with BT , the reason I left was the connection dropping when the phone was in use

so this is a long standing problem.

I'd love to hear how you get on , and maybe I can explain some options to the call centre next time I get in touch.

Aspiring Contributor
BarryW

I called 151 and the BT person said they changed some 'channels' (whatever that meant?) and that will fix the issue. Anyway it still drops out and I am considering my options as I don't have the time and inclination to spend months trying to sort this out. There is another thread here on this forum with the same issue which was eventually resolved but took a great deal of time. I did not find that thread prior to my posting but I wiil post a link here when I have found it.

Sage
imjolly

if you still have the problem of the broadband dropping everytime you receive and/or make a call then you need to phone 151 again and insist on an engineer visit.  changing the wifi channel will make no improvement to your connection problem as you ave found out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi

There could be a couple of things causing this dropout of BB, the fault could either be in your premises (wiring, faulty filter, equipment with no filter) or could be out on the external cable network.

If you have a main telephone socket like this.

NTE5_BT_front.jpg

It may have a newer BT logo but either way you can undo the 2 screws  and gently remove the bottom faceplate.

In side will look like this.

imagesCAIIBPUE.jpg

If you can plug your homehub into the test socket with an ADSL filter conected and test your connection, then try a call to your home number and check if the BB drops.

If you still get the dropping out the fault is external to your premises. If you no longer get the drop outs the fault is with wiring or equipment in your house.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Aspiring Contributor
BarryW

Thanks Dave I have tried that but still it drops out.

Sage
john46

you need to contact Faults on 151 and report the problem
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’