Aspiring Contributor
Panmaster
Accepted Solution

Installing a new master socket and improving sync speeds

Hello

I have a black dropwire that goes into the house and into a very small white box with a single screw (the junction box). A white wire then extends to the upstairs phone socket and then it goes to the downstairs phone socket. The phone sockets are quite small, plastic gone yellow tinged with age and they look tacky. They both look the same. Also, the dropwire looks low quality too and the junction box was replaced a year ago but they made a shoddy job as the plaster is messy and not smooth. It looks a right mess to be honest.

houseline.jpg

I have quite a few problems with things as they are:

- SNR is very poor for 1.6 km from the exchange, only getting 900~kbps upload

- router upstairs because upstairs socket is better

- lots of network cables connecting downstairs computer, upstairs computer and router, all in different rooms

- keep getting tripped up by said cables

If I could have a new master socket where the junction box is the sync speed would be much higher as the internal wiring in the house is old (1970s) and *probably* **bleep**. Also I would put the router downstairs and wireless would work properly so I wouldn't need all the network cables.

What would I need to install a master socket with a built-in ADSL filter next to the junction box downstairs?

Just a NTE-filtered faceplate, I-plate, crimping tool, insertion tool and some kind of phone wiring/Cat5E solid core to connect them right?

Best Regards,

PanMaster

"Ignorance is bliss"
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Installing a new master socket and improving sync speeds

[ Edited ]

You would have to get Openreach to move your master socket downstairs, you are not allowed to do it yourself.

They will fit a ADSL faceplate like the picture below, if you tell them you have BT Broadband, which I assume that you have?

adsl faceplate.jpg

You can ask BT to contact Openreach on your behalf, provided they are your service provider.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Panmaster

[ Edited ]

BT will only act if theres a voice problem/faulty line and will still try to charge £200+ unless you can prove it's not your fault.

Short of destroying the telephone pole there is little chance of one of their incompetant "engineers" ever coming round here.

I shall attempt to replace the master socket regardless. As a PC enthusiast tinkering with hardware is what I do best, especially if "its not allowed".

BT Infinity isn't coming anytime soon so BT is to blame.

edit: BT is the last ISP I'd ever get. They're quite literally awful. They throttle and have routing problems.

"Ignorance is bliss"
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Panmaster wrote:

I shall attempt to replace the master socket regardless. As a PC enthusiast tinkering with hardware is what I do best, especially if "its not allowed".

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nobody on this forum would be able to give you such advice. It is not permitted under forum rules.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

DavidM

Hi Panmaster,

Thanks for posting. As Keith has pointed out it’s not advisable to interfere with the master socket. Are you a BT customer? If so I’m sure we can help. If the line or broadband is giving you problems drop me an email with the details, you’ll find the “contact us” form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David
BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)