MaryMoffat

Internet Speed keeps dropping to 0.5mbps

[ Edited ]

Hi, I am on here on behalf of my mother as she is not good with computers but is the account holder.

My internet was 0.5mbps for around 2 years, after numerous calls to BT they send an engeneer out and he fixed it. It was capped from the 8mbps to 0.5mbps and no-one knew why.

After about a week it dropped to 6mbps which didn't bother us to much, then 5mbps then 4mbps.

After about a 4 weeks of being 4mbps it dropped to 0.2mbps so we phoned BT and then fixed it, although it went to 3mbps instead of 4. 

Another week later it dropped to 0.5mbps and the same thing happend. We phoned up and they fixed it, the speed was then 2.5mbps.

Now about 3 weeks later it has dropped again to 0.5mbps and i am on here trying to get it permanently fixed.

Is there anyway to get it to 8mbps again, I assume BT keeps capping it. This is BT forums so I don't know how much you can help but any would be appresiated.

Anything you need to know like address phone number etc. just ask.

I apologize for grammar and spelling. 

Sage
imjolly

Re: Internet Speed keeps dropping to 0.5mbps

welcome to the community forum where customers help customers

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) BT Speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MaryMoffat

Sorry I can't find my ADSL stats, I have a NetGear.

Here is the speed test though.

Sage
imjolly

from your btspeedtester your profile is down to 500 and you need to stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days and your profile will return to normal automatically.

if you enter 192.198.0.1 into your browser the router status and then show statistics at the bottom - post the table

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.