Aspiring Contributor
singularity45

Is BT Ipv6 compatible? Will my router stop working?

[ Edited ]

I keep hearing about how IPv4 addresses are running our and everyone must change over to IPv6 otherwise the interent will stop working.

There is no information from BT about IPv6.

Will more info arise from BT when we get nearer to World IPv6 Day?

Will my router work with IPv6? I am using a BT Voyager 220v ADSL. I have heard some routers will not work once the internet starts changing. I know for sure Windows XP will not automatically work, I will need to run a command prompt and perhaps cross my fingers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_IPv6_Day

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Re: Is BT Ipv6 compatible? Will my router stop working?

The internet won't suddenly stop working one day.  The last blocks of IPv4 addresses have now been allocated.  Anyone who already has a block (and BT has several) is OK.  Anyone else who needs some addresses is going to have to pursuade somebody else to give up their spare ones - a lot of addresses are currently sitting unused.

For the time being, everything will carry on as normal.  A very small number of web sites are now running IPv6 versions in parallel with the old IPv4 ones, and this will gradually expand.

During the changeover period, there will also be methods of "tunnelling" one addressing system over networks using the other.

Expert
PheeragHfre

[ Edited ]

singularity45 wrote:

I keep hearing about how IPv4 addresses are running our and everyone must change over to IPv6 otherwise the interent will stop working.

There is no information from BT about IPv6.

Will more info arise from BT when we get nearer to World IPv6 Day?

Will my router work with IPv6? I am using a BT Voyager 220v ADSL. I have heard some routers will not work once the internet starts changing. I know for sure Windows XP will not automatically work, I will need to run a command prompt and perhaps cross my fingers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_IPv6_Day

Your current router should work if you tunnel IPV6 but I would wait for Hardware/Software Manufacturers to catch up before investing in an IPV6 router?

(Your router is to old for any IPV6 firmware updates. :smileysad: )

Your Software Firewalls, Anti-Virus Applications Router(s) Firmware all need to be IPV4/IPV6 aware before your consider using IPV6.

To enable/disable IPV6 on XP see this link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2478747

Don't panic all you need to do is keep in step with developments for both IPV6 & DNSSEC.

:smileywink:

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Aspiring Expert
Soulvache

Not to mention that fact that IPv6 compatible equipment is extremely expensive!

Kyle

=======================================
If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
=======================================
Expert
PheeragHfre

World IPv6 launch day set to aid net address switchover

Leading internet firms have set 6 June as the World IPv6 launch day.

IPv6 is the new net address system that replaces the current protocol IPv4, which is about to run out of spaces to allocate.

Web companies participating in the event have pledged to enable IPv6 on their main websites from that date. 

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Expert
PheeragHfre

First IPv6 Distributed Denial of Service Internet attacks seen

Quote:

For now, as the Washington DC beltway network company Tachyon Dynamics points out, operating systems “like Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 7, and 2008 don’t set a limit on the amount of routers they like to listen to. Whereas in Linux and Mac they set their limit at right around 15. If there are more than 15 different RAs coming at them, they stop configuring the address and routes. This is not the case with Windows, and that’s what the exploit in the awesome exploitation toolkit called flood_router6 inside The Hacker’s Choice IPv6 tool-kit (THC-IPv6) shows. Flood_router6 will basically pound the subnet with millions of RAs with different IPv6 source addresses with different IPv6 prefixes. In a matter of seconds, you can turn a fully functioning Windows machine into a brick.”

With trouble like that awaiting IPv6 systems on the Internet, it’s clearly time to move from simply making sure that IPv6 works to making sure that IPv6 works securely on your networks. And, Windows users need to make certain that they’re not already running IPv6 without even knowing they’re making themselves vulnerable to IPv6 attacks.

Guru
Webby

IPV4 won't simply drop off the face of the internet when IPV6 becomes more widely used. They'll run in tandem.

BT have already bought and own lots of IPV4 addresses, and until they have more subscribers to broadband than they do IPV4 IP addresses there'll not be an issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’