Aspiring Expert
Ian1957
Accepted Solution

Is my SNR Margin too low?

Hey guys, it been a while since I posted. However I'm worried that my SNR Margin maybe too low and that is what may be causing the Loss Of Signal and Loss of framing figures. Also I think the Error Seconds is quite high? And I wondered on the whole if my connection stats look good?

PS I have been on holiday for two weeks and I thinkthat there was a software update 2 days ago? Because the Supported Applications Button now says Port Forwarding, can anyone confirm this?

Cheers in Advance.
Aspiring Expert
Ian1957

Re: Is my SNR Margin too low?

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 3 days, 1:16:21
Downstream 7,431 Kbps
Upstream 888 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 2.1 dB / 11.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 40.0 dB / 20.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 6
Loss of Signal (Local) 1
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 14829222 / 4294967235
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 2437 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 1224
Hide Details
Software version 8.1.H.U (Type A) | Access Click to activate accessibility mode | Time and date  00:27:10  30/08/2011
Expert
gouledw

I think whats happened because DLM has seen your line as very stable, its dropped your Noise Margin to 3dB, unless its just that low because of the time of night.  And they look reasonably good for your line attenuation but I would hope more for around 9mb sync speed, but it all depends on age of the copper and quality of it etc..

And as for router firmware, sorry Im unable to help on that one. 

Aspiring Expert
Ian1957

Thank you for that :smileyhappy: , so my line is so stable that the exchange has allowed my SNR to be lower. Sounds good to me. I'm going to restart the router at around 12 ish and hope for a slight increase in down sync. However the highest that has been achieved has been something along the lines if 7741 Kbps ish. Also i am on the new 88.2% thing which I understand is good?

Nathan
Expert
gouledw

Yes its a good thing you're on the 88.2% profiling system. This basically goes against anything thats BT's old IP profiling system. It will always be 88.2% of your sync speed, it automatically updates, and never gets stuck!
Aspiring Expert
Ian1957

Hopefully BT will roll out this new system to everyone? Or is it only for people with extremely stable lines?
Aspiring Expert
Ian1957

One other quick query if you don't mind. My hub is next to a PC/printer due to my parents wanting all computer things in one place and I understand that metal and other things can cause interference.

If I were to purchase one of these cables - Belkin High Speed Internet Modem Cable - Phone cable - RJ-11 (M) - RJ-11 (M) - 1.8 m - double shielded - snagless - white
Would the amount of fed errors and error seconds be reduced?
Expert
gouledw

As far as I currently know its only being rolled out to Exchanges who are 21CN enabled and have a Fujitsu MSAN. Theoretically it is only available to 21CN customers on that equipment, but Ive seen people who are on the same exchange and equipment just not on ADSL2+, they have not upgraded from Max yet that have the 88.2% profiling system.

ALthough Market 1 exchanges with just ADSL Max will only have the standard 3-5 day system.
Aspiring Expert
Ian1957

I am aware I should be able to get around 9mbps down sync, however I think that it is the home hub's fault I'm not?

I'm not trolling the home hub mind I think it is excelent, the wireless is superb. I just wonder if I get a different router it would sync at a higher speed?
Expert
gouledw

I find that the Home Hub 3 syncs around 3/4 of a meg higher on my line than the HH2.  But as per Adam1992's thread, not to sure you'd trust the wireless on that? It works brilliant for me though, much better than the HH2 in all ways.