Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Is my hub redirecting me to scam/virus website?

Hello all,

I have a Total BB 1.5 hub.

Last week the host server of www.hln.org (I know....very embarrassing being a Huey Lewis fan!!) was hit by a bug which redirected traffic to blackinternet.se

The mods of that site cleared up the problem virus however, I am still redirected there when using any device connecting through my home hub.

I can access hln.org from work with no problems.  I also accessed without problems via my smartphone using a data connection, however, when I connected my smartphone to my hub wirelessly it was redirected to the balckinternet site.

Is it possible that something has infected my home hub?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guru

Re: Is my hub redirecting me to scam/virus website?

Ive just tried to access the site you mentioned hln and I get redirected to blacknet, so looks like the problem is still there.

So not a problem with your HH

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Aspiring Contributor

Thanks for checking and letting me know, very kind. I'll see what the mods of the site say tmrw when I can log on from work.

Did a bit of readin up and noticed a few mentions of DNS errors in router - will see what site mods say before investigating that though.

Cheers

Distinguished Guru

It's unlikely that the hub itself could have a virus as it uses obscure BT-customised firmware which isn't found in any other router. All recent versions of the home hub firmware are designed to be difficult to access without the correct password anyway.
You could have DNS cache poisoning. If in doubt, reboot both the hub and your PC to clear things out.
Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Peformed soft reset of HH, cleared cache and browsing history from Firefox and also installed new brower (Chrome) to test.  Problem still persists.  Mixed reports from users of the hln site - some still being redirected, some not.

I performed a test where I logged on to the hln site without problem from my phone using the mobile network data connection.  I then switched on the phone's wifi (so that my next click would be routed via the HH) and clicked on another page of the hln site - sure enough, I was redirected to the black internet site.  Surely that would suggest some kind of poisoning within the HH??

Distinguished Guru

I suspect that somebody, somewhere, has set up a rogue DNS server that is advertising itself as knowing the route to the web site. Any unsuspecting computer that uses that DNS server gets completely the wrong IP address when they ask for the IP address of the web site. That way they end up redirected to the virus site and not the real one.

Since the numerous DNS servers around the internet refresh their routing tables every so often, it could be pot luck as to whether you get the correct routing from a genuine DNS server or the bogus one from the rogue server.
Aspiring Contributor

Ectophile & DevonDave,

Thanks so much for showing interests and offering help.

To round off the thread, it appears DNS poisoning was to blame for this.  It was just a case of sit and wait for my router to check for the real location of hln.org after the hosting company flushed out the malware.

It appears that a few users of the site have since been infected.  Fortunately for me, this virus was not designed with Macs in mind.

Cheers