Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Lightning storm - No ethernet connection

Hello,

From what I've gathered the flats next to us have just been hit by lightning and now our BT black hub does not work for ethernet connections. We have 3 things connected via ethernet; desktop, laptop and X360.

The wirless function works fine, as im using it now, but no hard wired connection. Our phone line is down and our phone started ringin by itself (Siemens SL565 DECT) but I know what can happen after a storm.

It's just weired that no hard wire connection is available, only wireless. I would of expected the whole modem to go down. We have reset the hub, and turn it off from the mains etc but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nick

BT Hub 2.0

Siemens SL565

BT BB Option 3

1 Desktop wired - no connection

1 X360 wired - no connection

2 x laptops wireless - connected

2 x HTC's wireless - connected

Expert
0 Ratings

Re: Lightning storm - No ethernet connection

See things like that before

I have one router that ONE port does not work, the rest do another router that will not sync anymore but everything else works, just depends on what chip goes I guess or what connections break

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Recognised Expert
0 Ratings

Lightning prefers to travel through the quickest easiest path(Ethernet wired connection(s)). Check all your other equipment carefully via another router.
"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

I don't have another router, the home hub is the only one I have Smiley Sad

If the hub is fried, will I have to pay to get another one or is it covered under warranty by BT?

Thanks for the quick reply as well Smiley Happy

Expert
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

unless you really need a hub for thing like phones then you may be as well off with a cheap more standard router from ebay or if loaded a Billion bipac 7800N from broadbandbuyer.co.uk

(changed it from real router as it originally was since it was pointed our that was a tad misleading)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Not to worry, just spoken to BT they are renewing my contract (which was up for renewel anyway) and sending me the new 3.0 hub for free this Thursday.

Happy days!

Thanks for all the replies guys!