Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

Long term problem

Have been having constant probs with phone/broadband and not getting any joy..soo had enough. Anyway...engineer called out AGAIN today due to Internet constantly dropping out and phone line crackling/interference on calls (which has been ongoing since moving in 2 yrs ago) Master socket has been struck by lightening 3 times in 12 mths...last time it was replaced was 6wks ago. Engineer came this morn..still can't find any fault on the line but has had to replace master socket due to corrosion inside! Surely something is not right! We have a drop loop so moisture shouldnt be getting in. Master socket is litetally on the inside wall to wherw the line meeta the house so not internal wiring. Been back on to BT tonight after Internet constantly dropping out again and crackling on the line again and Internet dropping out. Anyone have any ideas??? Corrosion on the outside line causing moisture in capillary action being drawn into the wires/master socket???? So sick of them just sending an engineer out to be told there's no fault!
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Re: Long term problem

Your problem is a voice line problem not a broadband problem

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call

This test should be done at the test socket

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings

Hi @Jo636 and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having problems for so long. @john46 is correct. If there is noise on the line it needs to be sorted before the broadband connection can be addressed. You've mentioned having engineer out previously. Were they broadband or line engineers? Are you reporting this as a broadband fault or line fault?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Beginner
0 Ratings

Hi John...yes tried that. Ocassionally theres crackling and other time theres no noise on the line. Again cant make phone calls this morning due to such bad interference while trying to speak yet the line when testing or not connected to someone else but just with dial tone has no crackling!!
Beginner
0 Ratings

Hi, We've had both out. Now being told that if the line gets fixed it shoukd sort the broadband problem but the line engineer the other day couldn't find a fault on the line!! We can't make a phone call today the line is so bad with interference yet there's no crackling when doing the line test!
0 Ratings

Thanks for confirming that @Jo636.

I'll be happy to lend a hand with this if you wish. Just drop me over an email with your details and we'll take it from there. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings

@Jo636 I tried calling there but was unable to reach you. I wanted to follow up after the engineer visits on Tuesday to check how your line and Internet have been since? 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Beginner
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Hi @NeilO
We have noticed an increase in the broadband band speed yesterday and today. We haven't been in much over the last 36hrs so haven't had a chance really to try out the phone to see if that's improved...unfortunately because we're on an evenings/weekends package and already mounted up £20 worth of additional calls constantly trying out the phone during the day to test the quality over the last few weeks we've tried leaving the phone! We'll be trying ir out over the weekend to see if the quality has improved. One call that I made to my husband yesterday still sounded very faint on the house phone (which was fine initially calling via mobile) but there wasn't any interuption/interference on the line. Will report back over the weekend when we try out how it is. Thanks for your help...Jo

0 Ratings

@Jo636 Thanks for getting back to me. That's no problem at all, it's a good idea to monitor it for another while to ensure the noise does not return. I'll follow up with you next week as I will be out of the office for a few days.  

To test the line for noise without making a chargeable call you can run a quiet line test by dialling 17070 from your Landline. 

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Beginner
0 Ratings

Hi Neil
Not sure if you're on the forums today but unfortunately we're experiencing real problems with our phoneline again....had to make a couple of phone calls this afternoon and it's been breaking up constantly throughout. Ironically it's a God awful day weather wise again!!! This gas affected how bad the line has been in the past!
Jo