ironman1961

Losing my broadband connection

Well after much faffing about I got to post my query !

I got BT Broadband installed about 9 months ago and it was soooooo nice to use , turned on the Hub.....then my PC and voila...I was surfing the net like a good un'.......same for my laptop so away we go !

Until about three weeks ago that is, my PC kept dropping off the net then re-acquiring ! I phoned BT and a nice man came out and he was here for over 2 1/2hrs changing lines . sockets , you name it until he said "its not the hub , its your PC" Ok says I , till I thort after he went how can I get BTFon signal for a day ? BTIOpenzone for a day and yet I cant keep my BTHome Hub on for any length of time....some times its on for half a hour some times its on for a whole five minutes !.........so I have re installed windowa ( xp pro sp3 ) ALL my drivers , ran it with and without the BT software...and it still keeps dropping me off then ....well you know the rest !

Does anyone have any ideas why I cant keep a wireless connection on my pc yet I can on my laptop ?

Why should I have to "use a cable mate" as I was told by the D******D at PC Earth ( or something ) when i want to run it wireless ? 

ANY IDEAS HOW TO FIX MY PROBLEM ?

Or shall I just go back to virgin and stay with the hard wired option ?

Aspiring Expert
MikeFlint

Re: Losing my broadband connection

What is your set-up? You have a HomeHub and a laptop (that works okay wirelessly) but a desktop that drops all the time? And that is also connected wirelessly?

So using a USB wireless stick? Or built in?

Does the PC work when connected via wire? How close are they together, and so on ...

Aspiring Expert
Redflake

Had similar problem. Changed wireless adapter and now works fine.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

yeah sounds like the wifi adpater in your pc is either on the blink or you had some magic settings change, come to think of it my laptop running xp had power managment turned back on after the security updates the other week/
ironman1961

My set up is as fpllows .

Pentium D 3Gb in a 

6Gb Ram

GeForce 9600GT Graphics card

Marvell IEEE 802.11g wireless Adapter

Just re installed Win XP Pro , got all the latest drivers ( took ages cos of losing my connection)

I am about 15' from my hub....I COULD connect via cable but that wpuld entail drilling holes in a wall unless I get a 10meter plus cable.

I had NO problem for ages then this just happened about 3 weeks ago

Laptop works OK ( wired and wireless)

was told its a software fault !

was told to reset my hub !

was told my adapter is buggered !

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

personally i would do a search in your favourite search engine for 10m cat5e cable, (there freely available for up to 25 meter lengths in the £5>£20 price range) if you dont have a drill capable of going through the wall then the best option is the long cable

if you tried all the ideas so far then your wifi adapter is probably knackered, its certianly cheaper to get the cable than replace it, however if the bt engineer said it was a software problem there could be a problem with the install of windows or a feature turned off that shouldnt be,

did you make any changes to your pc before the problem started (install/uninstall or update any programs) did you experiance any other thiings like hardware changes inside your pc or plugged something new into it?

also is your os 64bit or 32bit?
if its 32 bit why are you having 6GB of ram since it can only address 3 GB of it unless its setup with the server files (a strange MS cripple to stop all home users running spare pc's as servers w/o buying a licenced server product)

well seriously i cant think of what settings you could of inadvertently changed, unless you ran ms config and changed things there, or went to the admin console (control panle/admin tools/services) and messed with things there changing between auto manual and disabled with things, (fyi for a good stable system only ever disable the remote desktop and the buisness shraing entries, pretty much everything else has a really good reason for being at its default setting), if you have attempted to speed up a slow boot time then it could be one of those changes that is causing the problem.

actually thinking about the problem, it conencts for a few mins then drops add has to be restarted, the chances are its some form of power managment setting or cam wich should be set to auto isnt, or else you have ipv6 enabled and when it finally finds a dns server it causes the problem, disable it in the wifi adapter properties page, leave the ipv4 entry alone.

oh and if you make changes to msconfig entries reboot straight away or else you can casue conflict entries and require a full system re-install, talking of which if your laptop was working fine you should of used that to download the various drivers then transfered them to your pc either via memery stick or even a digital camera or well any usb conecting storage device if you dont want to waste blankcd/dvd media.

well hope it starts working again or you figure out the problem.
Aspiring Expert
MikeFlint

First check your WiFi power management is off on PC.
If it's on, turn it off and see if that helps.

Second, you can get a USB WiFi adapter for under £10 from Amazon. That's probably cheaper than re-installing the OS. Or see if you have a friend with one spare. If that solves the problem then it's the wireless card. Sounds like your hub is okay if your laptop connects.
Guru
RogerB

After all that's gone on with your pc, since you had a good connection....this now sounds like a very deep black hole, with no light at the bottom.

If it were me, I would:

1  uninstall everything to do with BT broadband and networking.

2  use a proprietry registry cleaner.

3  clean the **bleep** off it using ccleaner.(this will clean bad reg entries also)

4  re-install bt broadband from the cd (not ideal)  but it'll get you there.

5  but with a network cable first....

6  then try to configure a wireless connection.

At which point it'll be obvious if you're wireless adapter has gone gangster....

My two penneth...good luck.

JAEU

Hello ironman1961

I share your frustration and I'm sure the generic answers you've received have left you even more frustrated.

There is clearly something going on with the way the BT wireless signal periodically rotates a security key or something which XP does not handle as well as Vista / Windows 7; Because I do not see this problem on Vista (+)  PCs.

Come on you BT guys, you're supposed to be the best engineers in the world - what's going one?

/JAEU

JAEU

I bet those who have XP often see the Wireless Connection Bubble Pop-up and if you use your PC long enough at some point you will lose connection - unless your screen save kicks in first which would jump start the wireless connection when you sign on.

I've also been told this problem can also be seen on the Apple iPhone ... the wireless key password needs retyping if you using the iPhone over a long period of time.

Something has changed and I believe BT made a huge change to their broadband infrastructure recently ...