Expert
Outcast_Aussie

Re: MEPIS Linux and Home Hub (2.0) connection

[ Edited ]

gsd4me wrote:

Basically I'm not - no-one has come up with anything concrete for me to try or any user guide for me to follow.

I have posted the question on other Linux forums so await developments there

Full of good intenetions I decided to boot the Mepis Live CD again and screengrab how i got my wireless USB stick to work, taking screengrabs along the way.

I dunno if something is wrong with my disk but various apps just kept crashing. Then the bottom taskbar disappeared..No problems I thought, I'll just launch from konsole.. But that crashed !!

So I went into settings and wrote down what Themes/icon sets/widgets were being used in Mepis.

The reason was.. Mepis is a Debian based distro using KDM (KDE) display manager instead of Gnome (GDM)

In Windows you get ONE display manager. We're spoiled for choice. I thought if I installed Kubuntu and then selected the same themes as Mepis uses (yes you can do that) I can then check out the connectivity etc and take some screengrabs for you.

I'm not going to bother changing the theme.. It looks gorgeous as is !!

Connectivity though.. lets try that.

I unplugged the wired (Eth0) and plugged in my USB stick.. Clicked the network icon down the bottom right of the screen and.....

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/100111/1294662361.jpeg

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/100111/1294662390.jpeg

Bingo.. Straight online with no issues !!

http://www.upload3r.com/serve/100111/1294663021.jpeg

Oh.. This is the USB stick

The black stick  in front of it is a standard 16gb usb stick that I installed Kubuntu onto.. I'm posting using it now.

I know you like the look of Mepis but that really does seem to be giving you grief. I'm surprised you've stuck with it this long.

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
Expert
Outcast_Aussie

Mepis Theme

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/SimplyMEPIS+8.0+-+Default+KDE+Theme?content=99924

I've got to go to work in a mo so I'll install it tomorrow.

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
Aspiring Contributor
gsd4me

Still attempting to connect - was going to try the old ethernet cable from laptop to BT socket connection just to see what happens there, and see if I can at least get onto the internet via Linux that way, but I need an RJ45 to RJ11 connector for this (my BT plate has two sockets, one for the telephone, the other for the hub/broadband connection). Of course, neither of the PC shops in town had one in stock

Been thinking about all this, and looking at other postings and bits and pieces, is ther a clue in the fact that

KNetworkManager simply seems to DO NOTHING when I select it? I would assume that there has to be some sort of interaction with the user but the GUI just goes when I select the program

Am (sort of) running out of time here as She Who Must Be Obeyed needs the laptop for business for about 3 weeks from this week. (Memo to self - buy another one)

Expert
IanC

gsd4me wrote:

Still attempting to connect - was going to try the old ethernet cable from laptop to BT socket connection just to see what happens there, and see if I can at least get onto the internet via Linux that way, but I need an RJ45 to RJ11 connector for this (my BT plate has two sockets, one for the telephone, the other for the hub/broadband connection). Of course, neither of the PC shops in town had one in stock

The ethernet cable doesn't go in the socket - it goes in the router, which will be an RJ45 connection the same as the one at the PC. The cable supplied with the HomeHub should be OK...

Been thinking about all this, and looking at other postings and bits and pieces, is ther a clue in the fact that

KNetworkManager simply seems to DO NOTHING when I select it? I would assume that there has to be some sort of interaction with the user but the GUI just goes when I select the program

Mmm...does other (not networking) stuff work OK ?  Linux, of all flavours can be very strange with certain video chipsets (thinking out loud...)

Ignoring the GUI, as it doesn't appear to be working - this can all be configured from a shell prompt. What does the "ifconfig" command say about the wlan interface ?

Does "ifup wlan0" change anything ?

You might want to think about disabling wireless security in the router while you're playing around, just in case you're "connecting" but failing due to a security/encryption issue, in which case your efforts will need to be along another avenue.

Am (sort of) running out of time here as She Who Must Be Obeyed needs the laptop for business for about 3 weeks from this week. (Memo to self - buy another one)

I think, in your position, I'd be inclined to download an Ubuntu liveCD and try that. If you can get that working, any eye candy can be added later - including KDE.

I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu (it's a bit too "dumbed down" for my liking) but that's a plus point for many, and it does usually work with minimal fiddling.

Which Mepis version are you using, BTW ?

Aspiring Contributor
gsd4me

OK folks – a summary of today (drawing together ideas from the 3 different forums that I have been in contact with over this problem)

I connected my ethernet cable to my home hub – thanks to the people who pointed out that it should plug into the hub itself and not the phone plate (even though I thought that the 'other' (non-phone) RJ11 connection was the one required).

Played about with the settings using MEPIS Network Asssistant and – lo! And behold! - internet access. So connection finally done, but via ethernet. However, just what I needed – another cable trailing about the house!

So I played about with the Network assistant again – and still couldn't get the wireless connection to work.

On the General tab of the Assistant, the ethernet connection went green when live but the wlan0 will not move beyond grey and its status says that it “ started but failed to connect” and no matter what I did (using Konsole, GUIs) it simply wouldn't play ball.

Some points to ponder that I obtained that may get the grey matter of you experienced folks:

According to Network Assistant (Troubleshooting tab), “List Linux Drivers” gives:

RTL8187 25058 0

R8169 26775 0

mii 2658 1 r8169

“List Windows drivers” gives:

airplus

bcmwl5

bcmwl5a

lstinds

mrv8k51

net8185

netr33x

prismnic

wlannic

wlanuig

wlipnds

Mean anything to anyone?

“iwconfig” from Konsole gives:

l0 – no wireless extensions

eth0 – no wireless extensions

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Managed Access point:Not associated

Tx-power = 0 dBm

Retry long limit : 7 RTS thr:smileysurprised:ff Fragment thr: off

encryption key: off Power management: off

“ifconfig” gives

eth0 – link encap ethernet

wlan0 – link encap ethernet Up Broadcast Multicast

“ifup wlan0” gives

ignoring unknown interface wlan0=wlan0

So to answer some questions and points raised on the forums – apologies but I am just going to cut and paste this onto each of them:

JBOMAN on the MEPIS Community forum (http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29148&p=258228#p258228) pointed out that he couldn't get v8.5 to connect to his wifi, where v 8.0 had worked. I too am running v8.5, obtained on a disc from an outlet.

IanC on the BT Forum (http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/MEPIS-Linux-and-Home-Hub-2-0-connection/m-p/99093) asked what version of MEPIS – 8.5 as per above paragraph.

Chatan (http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29148&p=258228#p258228) – the connection security is WPA2 Personal

Also thanks to everyone else who posted things for me to try.

SO – I can use my ethernet cable to connect to the internet but not my Home Hub, which was the main point of the question.

HOWEVER – I thought (as I mentioned elsewhere in one of the posts) – perhaps I DID make the wrong choice – how does any other Linux flavour work?

So I inserted the distribution disk that I have for Ubuntu and ran it from the CD. The wireless connection wizard was SO much simpler than MEPIS and after 30 seconds – the WI FI CONNECTION WAS ESTABLISHED – no messing about, straight in.

Therefore – it seems that something about MEPIS or MEPIS v8.5 does not like my BT Home Hub (or vice versa?).

Once again many thanks to all the contributors – I really am most appreciative of the time and effort that you all have made to try and help this Linux Virgin and for suggesting different approaches for me to try.

I am going to leave this question as now 'solved' (after a fashion) as my wife needs the laptop for business but what I shall eventually do is remove MEPIS, use its CD as a coffee coaster, and install Ubuntu. Pity because I liked the way that MEPIS was set up but wifi access is what I need.

Expert
Outcast_Aussie

I'm pleased you got it sorted. Ubuntu is not everyone's cup of tea but at 49 years of age I really can't be buggered brainstorming something when I really don't have to.. That's why I ended up using Ubuntu. I do like the look Of Kubuntu though.. been a while since I used that.

Expert
IanC

gsd4me wrote:

[big snip]

“ifconfig” gives

eth0 – link encap ethernet

wlan0 – link encap ethernet Up Broadcast Multicast

It gives more than that, surely ?

[snip]

SO – I can use my ethernet cable to connect to the internet but not my Home Hub, which was the main point of the question.

You're using your HomeHub - just not wirelessly :smileysad:

HOWEVER – I thought (as I mentioned elsewhere in one of the posts) – perhaps I DID make the wrong choice – how does any other Linux flavour work?

So I inserted the distribution disk that I have for Ubuntu and ran it from the CD. The wireless connection wizard was SO much simpler than MEPIS and after 30 seconds – the WI FI CONNECTION WAS ESTABLISHED – no messing about, straight in.

Ubuntu is usually very good with hardware detection (although some recent versions have broken previously working video...)

Therefore – it seems that something about MEPIS or MEPIS v8.5 does not like my BT Home Hub (or vice versa?).

No - Mepis doesn't like your wireless adaptor. 

Actually I think you're almost there, and could get it working with a bit more fiddling.

I am going to leave this question as now 'solved' (after a fashion) as my wife needs the laptop for business but what I shall eventually do is remove MEPIS, use its CD as a coffee coaster, and install Ubuntu. Pity because I liked the way that MEPIS was set up but wifi access is what I need.

Once you have Ubuntu up and running, it's a breeze to install KDE. It's then possible to select between it and Gnome. Or there's a Kubuntu distribution, which uses KDE by default.

Glad you're working now.