dav
Beginner
dav

Major drop in broadband speed

[ Edited ]
Today I noticed a dramatic drop in my internet speed. Normally I receive speeds of 3.5-4meg download and I live in the Berkshire (SL6 01628) area. But my speed has fallen to around about 256kbs download, so much so my upload was actually said to be higher than this. This appears to of caused some instability in it. For example when I click on the advanced tab and ADSL settings on my home hub it often restarts. Furthermore I noticed that noticed that my line settings has been changed from interleaving 'OFF' or 'FAST' back to interleaving 'ON' which I did not in fact request. I rang up the help line as usual they provided zero help asking the usual questions and blaming it on my equipment even though nothing has changed since yesterday. I checked on the website for any existing issues in the Berkshire area and there was an issues that was said to of been resolved earlier in the day, but this shouldn’t effect my internet so heavily. Any one got any suggestions or could possibly provide me with a UK help desk number? If any other information is needed just ask. Thanks Dave
dav
Beginner
dav

Re: Major drop in broadband speed

[ Edited ]

Sage
imjolly

the reset problem when trying to access the adsl stats on the HH2b is known and bt are supposed to be working on it but with it being replaced with the HH3 I wouldn't hold your breath.

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
dav
Beginner
dav

Line state Connected

Connection time 0 days, 00:44:42
Downstream 3,043 Kbps
Upstream 770 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.1 dB / 5.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 51.4 dB / 27.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 4.3 dBm / 1.5 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 6 / 840331
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 1 / 81238
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 7 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 1 / 10732

Sage
imjolly

your noise margin is high at 14 as normal about 6 probably due to the disconnections when accessing the adsl stats.  have you had other resets apart from when you access the adsl stats?  can you manage to run btspeedtester and post the results?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
dav
Beginner
dav

My noise margin has always been pretty high. I have had a case of high pings and alike a fair while ago hence why I also had interleaving switched off. The BT test does not work for me but I have just run speed test from the Maidenhead server which is where I live.

Ping-34ms
Download Speed-0.57 Mbps
Upload Speed-0.67 Mbps

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Sage
imjolly

you have a 3mb connection but without the btspeedtester results cannot tell whether your profile is low due to the resets or if your throughput is low or both.

if your line is stable then you can contact the mods to get changed back to fast  - fill out the form  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

dav
Beginner
dav

For some reason I cannot install JAVA on my pc for the btspeed test. I have contacted them via that link but im yet to hear anything back about it. According to my speed test this morning my download speed is more what it usually is but it falls heavily during the peak times (I know which is to be expected to some degree).
Sage
imjolly

the mods can take a few days to get back to you - sounds like you have a congestion problem in the evenings

dav
Beginner
dav

[ Edited ]