Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

My BT broadband has changed to TalkTalk?!

I've had BT broadband for about 7 months now.  It was a bit of a nightmare to get setup but has been ok since then.   In the last two weeks though my broadband speeds have dropped radically.   I have tried various things to improve this but to no end.  It used to be around 6MB, now I'm lucky if I get 1MB.

Browsing the Internet tonight I tried to go the National Lottery site, and found myself blocked by TalkTalk parental filter.   WTF?!   I then went to whatismyipaddress.com and it does indeed seem my broadband is now provided by TalkTalk.   

What on earth is going on?  Smiley Surprised  I wouldn't be a TalkTalk customer if you paid me!   How can I get back on BT broadband?!?!?

Any help gratefully received.   

Distinguished Sage

Re: My BT broadband has changed to TalkTalk?!

sounds like you have been slammed by TT

contact the mods or try online chat tomorrow

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

live chat http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Expert

[ Edited ]

Firstly you need to contact both bt and talktalk to make sure this is the case 

Secondly have you had a lot of calls unanswered on your answer machine as this could be either company trying to contact you, having worked for talktalk they cannot adopt your service without talking to yourself or someone in your house hold who is acting on your behalf have you had letters from talktalk as all transfers need to have the customer fully informed in accordance to offcom guidlines, how long has passed in your opinion since you noticed the change as you may be able to reverse this if it is within 28 days 

thirdly if your using a homehub these will not automatically connect to talktalk as they use a different authentication system you have to have a talktalk router or a third party pre-programmed to access there services

if it turns out to ba a slam then talktalk and the person who processed the sale can be severly dealt with in accordance to offcom guidlines depening on the recording as all sales calls are recorded 

Aspiring Contributor

I've had no phone calls form BT or TalkTalk.   I am definately being filtered by a TalkTalk filtering system of some kind.   When I go to whatismyipaddress.com it clearly says that my ISP is TalkTalk now.   I have had no dealings with TalkTalk whatsoever.   I work in a senior role in IT as my profession so I know I'm not doing anything stupid! ;-)

Aspiring Contributor

Oh and I am using a Homehub!

Aspiring Expert

ah ok well thats a new one bt homehubs are pre-programed for bthomehub@btbroadband.com this detects the bt broadband service and should not work through a talktalk service 

Aspiring Contributor

I agree.   Must be some kind of routing issue maybe?   My ISP location is showing as being in an entirely different Exchange too.   I have contacted the mods - don't fancy explaining this to BT's Call Centre abroad ....

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

The BT broadband service authenticates using your phone number I have flagged this post for Mods assistance

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Guru

Mark_W wrote:

I agree.   Must be some kind of routing issue maybe?   My ISP location is showing as being in an entirely different Exchange too.   I have contacted the mods - don't fancy explaining this to BT's Call Centre abroad ....

Hi.

The ISP location websites are frankly useless in the UK, they are incorrect with regard dynamic IP addresses in ISPs.

Are you connecting via wireless rather than ethernet ?

Is it possible you've picked up an open TT wireless connection, rather than using your own ?

Aspiring Contributor

Ok, the plot thickens, but I now don't think this is a BT issue.   I have a homeplug system connecting my upstairs with my downstairs so that the Xbox etc can connect.   I just noticed my DG being 192.168.1.1 instead of the BT one which should be 192.168.1.254.   On unplugging the homeplug I'm now back to happily being on BT Broadband.

This is so strange.   On wired or wireless connections (using the BT secured Wi-Fi settings) I was picking up DHCP from a TalkTalk router on 192.168.1.1.   There's no such IP address on my network now that I have switched off the homeplugs.   

I'm now suspecting this means my mains wiring might be suspect (this is a newly built house).   Smiley Sad