laurajconnolly
Accepted Solution

My Email address is being used by someone else

Hi

I recently set up a sub account in my married name (my primary email was in my maiden name) which was verified and i have been using this for about two weeks now.  This week i have started getting friend requests from Bebo for someone else with the same name who is using my email address as theirs.

Is it possible that BT have duplicated the same email address so that both of us have the same email? if so wouldn't i have received a lot more emails from random people.

i'm concerned that i might have "stolen" someones unverified email address but even so the only emails i have received are ones that i know about.

HELP.

Expert
Outcast_Aussie

Re: My Email address is being used by someone else

Change your password from the default welcome1

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
laurajconnolly

thanks for the suggestion, i have changed this - but they aren't actually accessing my email account - they are just giving out the email address as their own.

who do i check that it hasn't been allocated to anyone else.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Its possible to have abc@btopenworld.com which is the same as abc@btinternet.com, and abc@yahoo.com which is simply Yahoo.

I wonder if the person sending the e-mails have simply got confused.
You can look at the e-mail header information to see who the originator is.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
hamish72

Spoofing of mail address is common spammers do it all the time

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/email_spoofing.html

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Guru
Andy_N

laurajconnolly wrote:

Hi

I recently set up a sub account in my married name (my primary email was in my maiden name) which was verified and i have been using this for about two weeks now.  This week i have started getting friend requests from Bebo for someone else with the same name who is using my email address as theirs.

Is it possible that BT have duplicated the same email address so that both of us have the same email? if so wouldn't i have received a lot more emails from random people.

i'm concerned that i might have "stolen" someones unverified email address but even so the only emails i have received are ones that i know about.

HELP.

Hi.

It isn't possible to have duplicate email addresses.

To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "verified" - there is nothing to verify. As soon as you add the account via the portal login, then it is yours.

Don't forget, as you mentoned people have the same names, and your email address may be without "periods", yet another of the same name may have an email address *with* a period between the firstname and surname (or of course visa versa).

There is frankly not a lot you can do abour it, apart from either ignore the requests or complain to Bebo in case they can track the user who may be giving wrong details.