Beginner
99prarde

My broadband download speed keeps dropping really low

Hi, In the last few months i've recognised a significant drop in the download speed of my broadband, Most of the time according to speed checks not even managing 1mbps when i have 16mbps broadband , I thought the router was the problem at first as i still had the home hub 1.0 and thought it wasn't able to take the speed, I have recently bought the home hub 3 which worked great for the first couple of hours then started to drop again i have also tried reseting the router which seemed to work for about an hour. The problems not just with the wired connection but with the wireless aswel, I have checked tons of posts for a solution but can't find an answer anywhere. Please Help!!!!

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: My broadband download speed keeps dropping really low

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, could you please read the web page that is shown below, which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.

When you have done that, please follow the instructions at the end, and post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

Speed and disconnections

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
99prarde

Heres my speed test and adsl stats seems fast at the moment but keeps slowing down or dropping off at night and won't even load a webpage, hope someone can helpspeed test.JPGSTATS.JPG

Sage
john46

hi please try to post a Full BT speedtest around 7pm and 10pm tonight that will help us to see any possible problems with exchange capacity
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
99prarde

Yet again was slow over wifi logged onto computer which is wired took about 15 minutes to load speed test website yet now seems fine again, anyways heres the results from about 15 minutes agotest 2.JPGassured.JPGSTATS 2.JPG

Sage
john46

The BT speedtest must be done on a wired connection for accuracy the high number of errors will be reducing your download speed i would recommend having interleaving turned on that should reduce the errors
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
99prarde

Yes it is a wired connection it seems to have dropped out again at the moment won't even load a webpage, How do I go about turning interleaving on?
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Your downstream margin is much too low.

Take a look here Noise margins

and try the hint at the end.

If you still cannot raise the noise margin, then return here for advice.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
chris6273

[ Edited ]

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The DLM has set the OP's Target Noise Margin to 3dB intentionally - Its a new setting for stable lines :smileyvery-happy:.

99prarde, you have the exact same downstream attenuation as me at times (16.5dB) and with you being on the 3.0dB Target Noise Margin profile, you should be looking at around a 21-22Mbps sync on a good line. 

I've noticed that you have a very high error count aswell and (As john46 as mentioned) interleaving should correct those (You will have to contact the mods to have it changed).

Have you tried to take a speedtest with your Homehub plugged directly into the Test Socket (If you have one) like the picture below? 

Test Socket.jpg

If you have a spare, replace the Microfilter before plugging it into the test socket, to rule out a dodgy Microfilter.

Also make sure that you complete speedtests on a Wired connection, as Wireless can sometimes be the culprit with throughput issues.

I hope this helps

Like this post? Give it a Star :smileyvery-happy:. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

chris6273 wrote:

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The DLM has set the OP's Target Noise Margin to 3dB intentionally - Its a new setting for stable lines :smileyvery-happy:.

But only for stable lines. In a number of cases already, this has been changed, at the request of the BT Care team.
Unless you have a very good line, a 3dB margin will result in excessive CRC errors, which will reduce the effective download speed. This can be seen by the ADSL line stats.
Interleaving would help, as it would introduce Forward Error Correction. That would be the first step.
If the OP cannot achieve a stable line at the current margin, then they can return here to have the target SNR increased from 3 to 6dB.