Aspiring Contributor
Newburyman

Network Printer connection to HomeHub 2 (Type B)

I have been able to connect my printer via the USB socket on the HH2 (Type A) and use it as a print server to print from any machine in the house for the past year.

The Type A was recently replaced by a Type B because of the irregular disconnection problem that I was experiencing (which the Type B fixed). Unfortunately I can't seem to connect my printer to it.

Using the Add New Printer wizard, selecting local printer and the already established Standard TCP/IP port (with IP address for the USB socket of 192.168.1.253) doesn't work any more.

Does anyone know if the IP address of the USB connetion on the Type B is different to the Type A? Or have you been able to make make the Type B into a printer server some other way?

It is such a good feature to have when it works, which I am really missing at the moment. :smileysad:

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

Re: Network Printer connection to HomeHub 2 (Type B)

did you try searching for this? i know there have been lots of questions about usb printers and hubs :smileytongue:
Guru
RogerB

Aspiring Contributor
Newburyman

Thanks for the two replies.

I have searched and couldn't find anything specific to this particular problem with the latest Type B HH.

Despite what BT say officially, it did work with the Type A and Jarvisser described how to set it up. Unfortunately I don't think he has been supporting the site since he moved away from BT Broadband last year. The instructions just don't work with the Type B.

Anyone have any other ideas or experience?

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

what printer is it ? and is that an all in one or multifunction device?

just been thinking, is there a usb port mode option in the type b hub?

some printers require the network usb port to be in one configuration while others use the other option,

the modes are;
NET USB
and
LPR
check your printers user guide to see what seting it reqiures and seein the hub page which one your have selected,
i remeber reading something about the main difference between the hubs was the setup of the usb port, if that recolection is correct then the chances are you will need to either conect the printer to a pc and share it across your home network or buy a different one in order for it to work (f y i the type a hub is definatly net usb mode cos it wont support the LPR mode externall hdd i have which i was trying to setup as a network storage device)
Aspiring Contributor
Newburyman

It's an HP Photosmart 1100 which is a bit long in the tooth but working well and was previously connected to the Type A hub with no trouble.

I can't see any USB port mode option or settings in the HH2 and the Printer User Manual doesn't mention anything about network ports.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

yeah the type b hub works great for the standalone usb hardrives beign setup as netowrk shares, the type a is great for printer,

which leads me to surmise that there differnt

if you want the same functionality you cna by a network printserver which despite the name is a tiny little bit of hardware which plugs the printers usb socket to an ethernet setup.

personally i went with the sitcom ln308 which has the ability to change modes based on wether your using it for older standard printers (designed soley for connection ot a pc) or file sharing / new standard printers

not sure what price they are thease days but iirc mine was around the £50 mark last year, just check the adapters website for compatability before you purchase to make sure it will work.
Contributor
Zwilnik

The USB on the HH2b does not work with printers. the option was removed. The only way to to use the printer that way is to "aquire" a type a.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

@Zwilinik he had a type a hub and it was having problems hence he now has the type b and new problems.

however having had a look the sitcom product if you cna find it is listed a s compatable with your printer, then again its probably cheaper to buy a new printer than to purchase one of those units.

there are some very good ethernet capable inkjet printers and a lot of lazer ones around, i believe hp even do a few as well, myu only advise is to visit a shop find the product you want then search for hte best price on it, pc world can give good advice on things but there prices are normally way over the top in store.