Beginner
Toddy_blue

Networking via bt Home Hub 2.0

I'm a real novice at this...

I Have just upgraded to a BT Home Hub 2.0 and want to network 2 computers (both with Vista) via ethernet (not wireless) so they can share printers & external hard drive.

I have been on Bt Desktop help and gone to the Networking section. The one computer (Kids) finds the home hub, network usb hub (where printers are connected in) & network device (PS3 - wireless), but other computer (Dell) comes up with error page...where have I gone wrong?

Do I unplug it all and start again? Both computers are accessing the internet without a problem. Not sure if I should leave the network usb hub out for now and see if it'll work without....

Expert
chris6273

Re: Networking via bt Home Hub 2.0

Hi Toddy_blue,

The thing you should do first is uninstall the BT Desktop Help - it is not worth the effort because it doesn't really offer good advice.

To get your computers to share resources, go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Scroll down and look for the Network Discovery option and set it to allow. This should let the computers discover each other.

As for the Printers, if your computers don't detect them, try and install the drivers for the printers on each computer.

If you have any questions please post back :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps

Like this post? Give it a Star :smileyvery-happy:. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Beginner
Toddy_blue

Hi again,

I'm using Vista :  -> Network and Sharing Center -> Scroll down and look for the Network Discovery option are not available? Told you I'm a novice....

I have:

View network & tasks 

Connect to a network

View Network Computers and devices

Add a device to the network

Set up File Sharing...

None of these have a 'network Discovery option'

Aspiring Expert
Redflake

Aspiring Contributor
aamin

when you install the printer there is an option to share it out

so if youve configured the worjkgroups on all the computers to be the same you should see the other printers.

alternative is to get a print server

or use the usb port on the bt home hub and attatch the printer

Aspiring Contributor
aamin

which will save you having to have the other computer on if you need to print
Contributor
alanrw2

Thought I'd chip in on this one for interest.  I found this was possible only a week or so ago whilst Googling for usb to ethernet adapters so I could network my printer. I found instructions elsewhere for using the HH USB port and it works faultlessly.  Surely Bt could add this to the list of features of the HH??

Contributor
alanrw2

This might help if you're an XP user.

Use your BT Home Hub - Use it as a print server - Windows XP guide
Sunday 03 December 2006

Have you ever wondered what that USB port on your BT Home Hub was for? Well it turns out that you can use it to connect a printer to and therefore turning you BT Home Hub into a print server.

For some reason BT don't seem to share this information easily, I don't know why though as personally I think it's another selling point for them. The only reason I can think of is that they don't want to support it.

To set this up, follow the below (Windows Vista users, click here):

1) Connect your printer to the USB port on the BT Home Hub

2) Start the Add New Printer Wizard

3) Select to Add a local printer and make sure that the automatically detect option is unticked

4) Click Next

5) Select create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP port from the list

6) Click Next

7) Click Next

8) Enter 192.168.1.253 in the printer name field and the port name will automatically be completed

9) Click Next

10) Select Custom and click the settings button

11) Select LPR

12) Select LPR Byte Counting Enabled

13) Enter the Queue Name as LPT1

14) Click OK

15) Click Next

16) Click Finish

17) Either select your printer from the list or insert the printer driver CD and click have disk

18) Click Next

19) Enter your printer name and select if you want it to be your default printer

20) Click Next

21) Select if you want to share your printer

22) Click Next

23) Print a Test Page

24) Click Next

That's it, you should now be able to print to a USB printer connected to your BT Home Hub.

Sage
imjolly

great step by step guide but op is using 2 vista pcs

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
alanrw2

Yes I realise that - I'll try to find the original link and post the instructions for Vista.

On the same subject does anyone know if a USB Hub could be attached to allow , say, a printer and an external hard drive?????

Alan