superwomble
Accepted Solution

Number of devices/connections to BT Home Hub2

Does anyone know ifthere is some sort of limitation to the number of simultaneous connections to a BT HomeHub2? As my kids get older and we get more tech I get the feeling that some devices are getting booted out at the expense of others - my eldest's XBOX I suspect is a major culprit. Is there an inbuilt connection priority on the hub? Can a connection priority order be managed? Is there a maximum number of connections? Do wired connections (ethernet) get priority over wireless connections? Basically, how is our BB capacity shared-out by the homehub? Try as I might, I'm struggling to find any detail on this.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Number of devices/connections to BT Home Hub2

superwomble wrote:

Does anyone know ifthere is some sort of limitation to the number of simultaneous connections to a BT HomeHub2?

Not really, but the more connections, the slower it will get, and may need resetting from time to time.

As my kids get older and we get more tech I get the feeling that some devices are getting booted out at the expense of others - my eldest's XBOX I suspect is a major culprit. Is there an inbuilt connection priority on the hub? Can a connection priority order be managed?

There is no priority facility

Is there a maximum number of connections? Do wired connections (ethernet) get priority over wireless connections? Basically, how is our BB capacity shared-out by the homehub? Try as I might, I'm struggling to find any detail on this.

Ethernet will generally give better performance. There is no limit on connections

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
NilSatisOptimum

Although i'm the biggest child in the house with my consoles x3 and Pcs. I took my son in the sales to buy his own xbox after he had saved for two years, I must say the slim connected wireless is a hungry beast for my connection.  Its the first time ive noticed a slowdown.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

The only thing that gets priority is BT Vision.  Everything else just gets equal priority.

Guru
Webby

The hub shares out data as it's requested. If you have 5 available meg and 3 devices are requesting 2meg each then it'll share it around and you'll see buffering if trying to stream media for example. There's no prioritisation as far as I'm aware.

BT vision prioritisation isn't done by the hub. It's done via something called QoS which is dealt with in the BT Wholesale network. You can use 3rd party routers with BT Vision.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
john46

As has been posted by Keith there is no facility to set priority and the more devices connected the slower the connection will become Unfortunatly there is nothing that can be done to improve the situation for you the only thing as time goes on and faster connections become available like infinity thecspeed losses per device will be come less but that depends on availability and cost if it is practical
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’