Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

PC connecting to BT Fon or openzone in preference to my homehub

having just spent an hour on the phone to BT technical help, and got absolutely nowhere, I would be grateful for any suggestions!

last week I registered for the free Wifi and since then Most of the time my PC auto connects to the unsecrue Fon or openzone networks rather than to my home hub.

I saw the link that suggested going through the control panel to network and sharing centre ( I am on Vista) and to manage wireless networks and got quite excited for a moment thinking I was going to sort the problem But .... the only network listed is my homehub not openzone or fon so I can't move anything up or down! even though as I am doing this I am actually connected to openzone.

if I go through the 'connect to a network' from the tray icon my homehub is on the list and if I disconnect from fon or oppenzone it immediately auto reconnects. if I try to connect to the homehub I get 'cannot connect because of user action'???

the parting shot of BT tech help was that he could put me onto somebody else to problem solve this but I would have to pay!!!

any help much appreciated as I would really rather be using my homehub secure network.

many thanks

Sara

Contributor

Re: PC connecting to BT Fon or openzone in preference to my homehub

[ Edited ]

Hi  kidsphys,

Didn't they offer to take over your PC using GTA (Go-To-Assist)??

If you were directed to the Manage Wireless networks screen and the only thing listed was the Home Hub, I would suggest removing this so that the screen is blank.

Just try to connect to a Network again and hopefully you will be able to connect directly to the Hub Hub. You will have to enter the Wireless key again when you try to conenct so make sure you have this to hand.

Other than this, the only thing I can suggest you do, is Opt out of BTFON.

Cheers

Conz81

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’

Cheers
Conz81

Distinguished Sage

did you install the BT cd on you pc/laptop?  If so the forum suggestion is to uninstall as it can cause problems with wireless connections.  Windows can manage your wireless connection and you should be able to see the hub ssid.  you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. Then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Recognised Expert

Another thing - if you installed the BT helpdesk software I'd suggest you remove it. It can cause problems especially with wireless connections as it tries to manage the connections - something windows is perfectly capable of without any assistance.