Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Port Forwarding, how does it work?

[ Edited ]

Hey Folks, having a little issue here with port forwarding... On several occasions i have tried forwarding ports to play a game online so i am able to connect to friends, but each time i a get strict NAT or a strict firewall. How is this possible when i already forwarded the ports? and configured it assigning it to my computer ect, i also disabled my windows firewall/anti virus to see if that was blocking the connection but all to no avail.

Now my conclusion is i'm doing it wrong. Do i need a port tigger for the ports i'm opening? As i did fill in the Protocol, Port Range, and to translate to but left the Port Trigger empty as it seems to be of no use. 

On another note, i also did try DMZ, disabled firewall/anti-virus. STILL no avail on this matter all i can think is that BT are blocking my ports, if they are i have no idea what for i do not P2P or any of that crud. Anyway, i appreciate any feedback. Thank Ya.

Expert

Re: Port Forwarding, how does it work?

I have yet to find a port number that is blocked by BT although there are probably a few that are blocked due to their use by known trojans.

Personally to set up port forwarding the first thing I do is make sure that the targer device has a static IP address, in theory UPNP can avoid the need for this but I like to have static IP's so that I can keep the ranges discrete, ie my NAS boxes are in one range, IP camerasa another, PC's another, routers yet another.

Your device when usinig a static IP addresss needs to have the gateway set to the IP of your router(s)

On the router you then do as you have done and allocate port forwarding from the router to the static ip and set the protocols and port numbers as required.

That should then work fine and the router logs may show the firewall rules being applied (often mentions pinhole)

I do believe that some homehubs have known issues with port forwarding and there are theads on this forum on that subject you may need to check

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Expert

Re: Port Forwarding, how does it work?

[ Edited ]

Presumably you're using a Home Hub 2 Type A (not a type B because you seem to be able to configure the forwarding, but I could be wrong...!).

There was a message on these here forums a while ago that claimed the following procedure should work if the cause of your problems is related to (invisible) firewall rule updates from BT:

- Open the browser again, log into the hub manager and re-enable the firewall.

If you're using homeplugs/powerline devices between the Hub and the target device, then I've found that the following procedure is pretty reliable:

- Connect and plug in the nearest powerline adapter to the hub and switch it on, then in hub manager go to the Home Network page, select the powerline adapter and tick the box to always use "this IP address" and hit apply.

- Repeat the above for the second powerline adapter (only plug it in once you've done the first one); you might need to wait a couple of minutes for each powerline device to appear in the Home Network Devices page.

- Repeat again for the target device.

- Forward your ports and cross your fingers.

The Home Hub 2 Type A seems to keep an active entry of IP addresses allocated to devices that isn't cleared down when they are disconnected but then allocates a new IP address when they are reconnected.  The Hub 3 Type B automatically ticks the "always use this IP address" when a device is connected.

One more thing that sometimes works; when you're assigning the port ruleset to the target device, instead of selecting the MAC address of the device try the IP address that the device has been allocated (after you've ticked the "always use this IP address" boxes for the target device and any other devices between it and the Home Hub).

If you manage to get it working, back up the configuration of the Home Hub from the System page in Hub Manager; this could help you to avoid major stress if a freak reboot causes the Hub to get messed up.

Edit:  Port forwarding and UPnP are not the best of friends; from my observations if UPnP is enabled and has fired a forwarding rule for any of the ports you're trying to set up persistant forwarding rules for (in response to say logging in with your console) then those ports will not be forwarded by the port forwarding function because a (temporary) rule already exists.  Turn off UPnP first and maybe give the Hub a couple of minutes to sulk.