Contributor
TheDanielO39
Accepted Solution

Problems with the New BT Home Hub 3.0

Hello all,

It's not like me to have a nag about new things, but I just wanted to see whether you guys have the same problems as me.

THE NEW HOME HUB ISSUES
1. The restart button doesn't work (Press it, nothing happens. Hold it for ages, nothing happens.)
2. There is no connection speed in the Hub Manager
3. IT DONT WORK WITH LINUX
4. When finally restarted (Power switch On/Off) takes forever for Broadband light to glow blue.

I personally think most of these problems are to do with my unit, so I am going to call BT to get a new one (Faulty restart button will deformation make them send a new one)
[IMG]http://speedtest.net/result/1360143198.png[/IMG]
Aspiring Expert
MooJuice

Re: Problems with the New BT Home Hub 3.0

The restart button has a delay of about six seconds and needs to be firmly held in (better than the HH2's hair-trigger reset magnet!)

Connection Speed is located in Advanced Settings>Broadband>Connection

Contributor
TheDanielO39

I know it is there but because it is BT Infinity it does not show a connection speed. I think.

[IMG]http://speedtest.net/result/1360143198.png[/IMG]
Aspiring Contributor
Willstar

Solved?  It doesn't work with Linux?!!  That's not solved!!  ;-)

Contributor
BRunner

It does work with Linux.  What's the specific problem?

I disconnected my Sky Broadband router, plugged in the HH 3.0 and it just worked.

http://bthomehub.home/ doesn't automatically resolve to correct ip (192.168.1.254)  But you can just use the ip directly to get to the HH homepage.  Alternatively, you can add the following to the end of the /etc/hosts file:-

192.168.1.254   bthomehub.home

Aspiring Expert
reme8488

[ Edited ]

TheDanielO39 wrote:

I know it is there but because it is BT Infinity it does not show a connection speed. I think.

You won't get your Infinity line stats due to the HH3 being a simple router rather than modem-router with Infinity.  The white Openreach modem is where you would get any line stats, but you can't get into it to get any.:smileysad:

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity: 38717kbps down/10000kbps up 547m line length
Lisburn Exchange (NILN)
BT Vision ordered & due to be up & running on 09/08/2011
Aspiring Contributor
Willstar

I've seen it mentioned on a few posts that there is Linux incompatibility and my experiences don't contradict that.  The solution on this thread didn't seem to address that particular issue

I've got a QNAP nas and a Belkin powerline network "plug" connected to my HH1 via wired Ethernet and all is well.  The HH3 refuses to give out IP addresses to the NAS and the event log just says "Lease requested" repeatedly...

A Macbook pro connects ok via wired Ethernet.  I just get the impression that the HH3 has been tested with "standard OS devices" but not ones slightly off the mainstream...

I guess it's a bit off-topic for this thread but I have another post: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Home-Hub-3-wired-Ethernet-device-connection-is...

Aspiring Contributor
Willstar

as a test I've discovered something strange... The QNAP 419 has two ethernet connections. For fun i plugged them both into the HH3... oddly connection 2 seems to work ok at the moment and i'm assigned an IP address (I had to change the default DHCP range to 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253 ). According to the QNAP connection 1 is also assigned an IP address but it's 169.254.100.100!!! Have no idea where it's got that from! The HH3 does not show the 2nd connection at all...
Beginner
dmatravers

[ Edited ]

I have also had problems with a new HH3. It was delivered yesterday. When powering up the unit sometimes I will get all 3 icons blue (power, wireless and broadband) and immediately they go off, and the unit reverts to power on light yellow. Sometimes I get flashing yellow (forever), sometimes I get 3 blue but can't connect.

In the manual it says press restart for a yellow power on led. Pressing the restart button for ages (more than 6 seconds) or pressing quickly, does nothing. Physically removing the power supply for 3 or 4 minutes will sometimes bring it to life again (3 blues) and then I may or may not be able to connect. If I can connect, it may work for 5 or 10 minutes, then it will switch off either altogether, or back to the yellow power on led.

I have tried all the usual remedies, rebooting computer 'millions' of times, a hard reset of the HH3 (paper clip through hole), pressing restart, disconnecting power, disconnecting all other phones, faxes, etc on other extensions.

It's driving me nuts. I had a Netgear router before, and in 5 years I never had a single problem with it, with connection speeds of 5 or 6 megs.

I have contacted BT this morning and they are sending me another unit.

Has anyone else had these problems?

Beginner
dmatravers

Replaced HH3 with another one, and everything is now fine.