Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

RECENT RECURRENT BROADBAND CONNECTION PROBLEMS

Hi

I know there are similar posts to this but my problems have only just started happening over the last 2-3 weeks and I am at a loss as to the cause and it is now getting very frustrating. I do have some basic hub and connection knowledge but this isn't really helping me.

I have been a BT Broadband customer for a number of years and until Oct 2009 had an old white home hub and no major problems. In Oct 2009 Bt upgraded me to a new black home hub which had no problems until Dec 2009. About middle of Dec 2009 I lost the connection completely and after 3 days of phone calls to the support in India BT finally determined it was a line problem at the exchange which they fixed via an engineer at the exchange after 2-3 days. No probs until the last 2-3 weeks.

Now every day at random times and seemingly getting more frequent the broadband disconnects for up to 1 minute with the orange light flashing on the hub. Also as I have broadband talk the phone now gets cut off.

It does not appear to be related to weather/other appliances and the computers connected (via Ethernet) have not had any new programmes installed.The  manual line test seems to suggest a quiet line (no crackles).

I really am at a loss as to why this is happening and appears to be getting worse.Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.Hope all this makes sense.

Smiley Sad

Aspiring Expert

Re: RECENT RECURRENT BROADBAND CONNECTION PROBLEMS

have you checked the adsl stats page each tiem you get this resync occure?

its possible that the exchange or the hub are trying to correct for errors caused by something external to the home, also have you looked at the router log files (if there not switched on i would suggfest enabling full logging) to see if there is soemthign in there tht would indicate why.
Contributor

Thanks - I have gone through the hub event log and done searches on some of the content in the log and all seems to be in order - ie there is nothing obviously untoward in the hub log

Aspiring Expert

which leave the option of something causing problems and thats why the adsl stats page comes into its own, it shows if your hub has a lot of errors up/down, and the various other figures like sync rates, attenuation and snrm values
thease can be very good indicators as to why your getting problems with the sync, lots of errors would tend to indicate a noise event or high res joint etc
a disticnt lack of errors but problems with stability would point ot wither a dodgy connection or a faulty exchange, if it only occurs with gusts of windy or on windy days it would indicate a faulty cable while beign there permently would tend to indicate a problem with the exchange, if others have the same problems in your road that would indicate perhps a fault in a cabinet and so it goes on, if you can eliminate the problems within the home and are still experiancing problems have you tried changing the adsl filter(s) ? they do tend to develop non visible faults over time (as do a lot of electronic components)

i realise this might seem a bit ott but before you ask for an engineer visit to sort things out its worthwile knowing your not in any likleyhood of gettign billed for the call out.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay I must be a bit thick and confused here so I have copied and pasted the last event logs over the last few mins or so

15:43:13 14 Mar xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 5920 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.8 dBm, Up: 12.1 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 35.0 dB, Up: 20.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 19.0 dB, Up: 11.9 dB) 15:43:00 14 Mar xDSL linestate down 15:32:19 14 Mar xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7456 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.8 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 35.0 dB, Up: 20.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 20.0 dB, Up: 5.9 dB) 15:32:06 14 Mar xDSL linestate down 15:29:56 14 Mar xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7584 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.8 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 35.0 dB, Up: 20.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 20.0 dB, Up: 5.9 dB) 15:29:41 14 Mar xDSL linestate down 15:11:16 14 Mar xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7392 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.8 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm <

Don't know if this will help but maybe I am not picking up something in this log as my knowledge really is only basic.

By the way I did try a different asdl filter - no luck

Thanks for any help or comment on this log

Aspiring Expert

well the downstream noise margin seems to be rock steady but the up stream has changed as hase the sync rate, can you open the hubs adsl page by opening a browser gtyping in 192.168.1.254 slick the word settigns, login, then click advanced/ advanced/broadband and then adsl, at the bottom of the page there is a button marked expand click that

now highlight everything in the table (hold down the left mouse button and move from top to bottom of the page) put the cursor over the highlighted area right click and select copy, open a reply to the thread and click paste.

this will show the number of errors as well as the sync rate (crc, fec,etc) although there is no obvious reason for the first 2 re-syncs there (this would indicate abnormal behaviour) the last one would be down to a change in conditions (this is a normal everyday thing with the bt home hub) so the adsl stats page could show as a reason for something.
Contributor

Hi

Thanks - here we go

ADSL line status<script type="text/javascript">// var trClass = ["odd", "even"]; var td1 = ["w3", "Line state", "Connection time", "Downstream", "Upstream"]; var td3 = ["w3", "VPI/VCI", "Type", "Modulation", "Latency type", "Noise margin (Down/Up)", "Line attenuation (Down/Up)", "Output power (Down/Up)", "Loss of Framing (Local)", "Loss of Signal (Local)", "Loss of Power (Local)", "FEC Errors (Down/Up)", "CRC Errors (Down/Up)", "HEC Errors (Down/Up)", "Error Seconds (Local)"]; var td2 = ["", "Connected", "0 days, 3:39:05", "5,920 Kbps", "448 Kbps"]; var td4 = ["", "0/38", "PPPoA", "ITU-T G.992.1", "Interleaved", "10.8 dB / 19.0 dB", "35.0 dB / 20.5 dB", "19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm", "270", "269", "0", "3635 / 0", "9 / 2147480000", "nil / 0", "517"]; // </script>

Connection information<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td1, td2); // </script>
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 3:39:05
Downstream5,920 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)10.8 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)35.0 dB / 20.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)270
Loss of Signal (Local)269
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)3635 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)9 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)517
Not sure what any of this means - didn't even no I could get to this.
Smiley Surprised
Aspiring Expert

well personally i'n not totally certain about it all, i know you can ignor the crc up errors since there just a bug in the firmware (a hard reboot will still show them after a very short while) however the crc down errros and the fec errors would indicate a problem between the exchange and your router, i'm sure someone could probably tell you a bit more about it, your figures for the signal to noise ratio are also a bit off for what they should be and agin this would indicate there is a problem somewhere in the circuit.

if you havent already done so, run a quiet line test (dial 17070 option 2) and see if there is audible noise, in adition i would suggest asking the bb help desk to run a line check if the quiet line test shows nothing.

Aspiring Contributor

I too am having recurring broadband dropout connection problems (for months on and off), the dropping out is intermittent but I always have noise on the analogue and IP phones. The frustrating thing is that you have to speak to diiferent departments and there is no integrated fault diagnosis. I have done all I can to try and isolate the problem. Today I plugged a corded phone into the BT test sockett (eliminating interal wiring) works fine. Then I plugged an adsl fliter into the test socket with a corded phone and this seems to work fine also, i.e. no noise. But when I plugged the hub into the adsl socket I can hear hissing and crackling and data on the line. I have tried at least 4 adsl filters and they are all the same. I have called BT open reach many times they tell that there is no fault on the line and if an engineer visits and finds nothing wronmg they will charge me £125!!!! I don't get it, I have BT Total Broadlbandon a BT line and I can't any help to fix it!! 

Anyone come across a situation where the line tests OK but still had problems. Could it be to line not equalised i.e. unbalanced line due to a dry joint somwhere on the line.

This is very frustrating and time consuming and I don't where to go with this now, I did have a visit from a broadband engineer and of course it was fine when he tested it.

On the phone with India today for a hour (won't get started on that one) and they have reverted the fault back to openreach but I suspect I will get the same response from them when they call.

Should the quiet test be done with or without the broadband connected?

Help Please!!

Aspiring Expert

[ Edited ]

if there is audible noise on the line its a connection fault or a problem of tracking/grounding most likley, not that it really matters

bt voice are incharge of problems like that and its up to them to sort it out,

it would be far better if you dont mention anythign to do with bb when ringing them up they hear that word and transfer you to the wrong department.

just tell them there is noise on the line they will get you to run some tests, they will probably run a few of there own and then book an engineer to visit and fix it.

surprisingly the bb team have no responsibility if the problem is audible or giving problems through the phone side of things

and it would be far better if it was all one system, interlinked and working, sure have a tech team for tech problems but for anything to do with connection faults just one help number and reporting process would be a lot better, and giving them the option to internally transfer to the correct department for handoffs instead of the ring this number bye would be alot better as well.

ideally the quiet line test should be done with everything connected as normall and then with a corded phone and nothing else pluged directly into the master socket

if ther eis no noise from the handset on the second test then the problem is internal and caused by either your wireing or you phone

if the problem is evident in both cases, get another known good handset (borrow the neighbours phone if you can or do the test from there house with your phone so long as they dont have problems with there phone)

if there is still a problem with your line and not your handset tell them its intermittent, if possible record it when you hear it (put the phone receiver over a microphone and turn the volume right up on the phone, then run the test) at least then you can play it back for the engineer when he/she calls and that gives the ma good idea of the problem even if the sypmtoms are absent at the time they call.