Aspiring Contributor
Tlydiate

Random Disconnections.

For about 2 months I've been having random disconnections between midnight and 3:00am. At the time it wasn't to much problem as the router reconnected fine with no speed change.

But lately the disconnections have been happening through the day and evening, as well as between midnight to 3:00am. I've tried five different micro filters and that has no effect. The router is a HomeHub2(B) and connected through the iPlate on the master socket.

The router isn't just disconnecting then connection again, it loses synch with the exchange or loses the ADSL signal. The router doesn't update its status to say its lost its connection until it tries to connect or notices there isn't a ADSL signal.

Ive had the connection for over 12 months and its been solid at 21Mb but around the same time the disconnects it dropped to 16Mb and the noise margin went up on the line.

I'm not worried about the small speed decrease but the constant disconnections are becoming annoying.

I was just wondering if there is any work being carried out at my exchange or if there is a line fault I should follow up.

My exchange is WWCAMB or Camborne.

Aspiring Contributor
Tlydiate

Re: Random Disconnections.

[ Edited ]

Router stats as it lost connection a minute ago. might be helpfull.

Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 00:06:41
Downstream16,252 Kbps
Upstream1,171 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.9 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)22.2 dB / 8.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up)24.7 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 32
HEC Errors (Down/Up)7 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)0 / 0

Download speedachieved during the test was - 14018 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :15815 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1171 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 19.27:19.68:61.05 (SBE : NBE : PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 959 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1171 Kbps

Sage
imjolly

due to your disconnections your noise margin is a bit high at 11.9 as normal about 6 which is the reason that your speed has dropped.  apart from that your stats look ok.  your connection speed on stats is 16252 but on speedtester 15815 - was there another reset?

you are on 'fast' but unless your a gamer then bormally you would be on interleaved which would help stabilise your line.  to get this changed just contact the mods with your request http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Tlydiate

The connection changes between "Fast" and "Interleaved" on its own, the router also dynamicly changes its downstream speed. sometimes it goes as low as 2Mb then jumps to 12Mb then holds arounds 15-16Mb without the router losing connection. The noise margin for the first 12 months was around 5-7 but since the disconnects it hangs around 12.

I do play also of games and haven't noticed any difference between fast or interleaved, pings and connection stability seem the same.

When I done the speed test the router disconnected after it finished, stating there wasn't a ADSL singal and to chech phone socket connectons. The only thing connected to the phone socket is the iplate, micro filter and router. If i take the iplate off the connection loses 2-3Mb but the stability doesn't change.

Sage
imjolly

have you tried the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best done with a corded phone if possible.

the i-plate is to reduce the noise caused by your extensions but have you tried connecting direct to the test socket to see if that helps your connection?  another thing which can give a similar effect to the iplate is to disconnect the orange bellwire from terminal 3 on all sockets as this can act like an aerial for noise  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Tlydiate

I only have the master socket and without opening it up gain access to the wiring behind the test socket, I can't disconnect the bell wire.

Without the iplate the connection loses abit of speed but stability doesn't change, I still get the random disconnects. I left it without the iplate for afew days to give the line time to settle.

The quiet line test has a slight fuzz like a perosnal radio out of tune.

Sage
imjolly

if you have only the master socket then the iplate is not recommended according to BT site as it really only cuts down the noise from extension sockets. Also if you have no extensions then there is no bellwire problem.   if you can connect to the test socket and leave it that should give your best connection as that is your direct connection to the exchange.

If a cordless phone was used then normally there is like a dull hum in the background.  Anything more than that is probably noise on your line and will not help the stability of your line

Aspiring Contributor
Tlydiate

A cored phone and the homehub wireless phone both have the fuzz, its not a hum but more of a hiss.

After the first few disconnects I unplugged the phone and left it for about a week, that had no effect so I changed micro filter. one of my mirco filters made the line more unstable so I threw it away. the others had no effect either, so I left the router connected to the test socket and apart from the lowered speed it also had no effect.

I though they might be working on the exchange due to new housing being built within the town that would connect to the same exchange or that the exchange was getting ready for BT Infinity as other local exchanges had been upgraded, so I left the problem alone thinking it may stop once possible work on the exchange had stopped.

But after 2 months and it getting slowly worse I thought I would pick the brains of this forum as I didn't think there was any fault with the line as nothing has changed for nearly a year.

Sage
imjolly

you can check your exchange here but will probably say nothing wrong  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

with your attenuation you should have a connection of 20+mb.  your router should not constantly be changing connection speed as that suggests numerous disconnections probably due to noise.  If you hear a hiss then that is not normal and needs fixed which in turn will help your broadband.  to get phone line fixed call 151 and report a fault NOT a broadband fault