Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Random slow speeds

Hi all,

I've had a problem with my broadband for just over a year now, I was originally with SKY as my ISP.  For the first 6 months, I had no problems with my internet but then all of a sudden it would constantly drop connection, I was even told that over one week, the longest up time I had was 20 minutes.

After countless engineers, 5 or 6 - I was told that there was nothing that could be done, I'd changed routers 3 times - whenever an engineer came out either SKY or Openreach, I was advised that there was no problem with my line and I was getting a speed of 7mb/s - I've never seen this speed in the entire time I've been in - wireless or plugged in via ethernet cable.

In the end, I cancelled with SKY as they could not resolve it and I signed up with BTs Basic Broadband package - I was told at the point of sign up that I would be guaranteed a 5.00mb/s speed, I checked online and it said anywhere between 3mbs-5mbs which is very low to what I'm used to (previously had fibre but was living somewhere different)

Now since I've been with BT for about 4-5 weeks now, the connection hasn't dropped at all which I was very happy with - however, my speeds are just so random I presumed that this would of been the 15 day stabilisation period so didn't question it.

The stabilisation period has now ended but I'm still getting really bizarre speeds, admittedly these have all come from wireless on my mobile phone (whilst connected wireless and not my 3G/4G) Here are some examples:-

25 May - 2.79

25 May - 0.49

25 May - 1.49

25 May - 0.18

26 May - 0.58

27 May - 6.46

4 June - 6.47

4 June - 6.38

11 June - 1.95

13 June - 2.43

13 June - 5.24

15 June - 0.39

15 June - 2.67

Now off the readings above, this is not a stable connection to me at all.  I had an engineer who said I had multiple errors on my line but apparently according to the call centre this has been fixed by 'replacing a wire'

They then sent me a booster to help for free, which I accepted and now have installed.

I then spoke to the call centre again after monitoring my speed, I've been told to keep my devices plugged in via ethernet cable - I said ok then, I should be getting 5mb/s if its a straight plug in via ethernet.

I've just tested it again for these results, these are via speed test on my laptop:-

2.89 via wireless in living room (opposite end of my property to the router as I live in an apartment and the master socket is in my master bedroom)

2.80-90 via ethernet cable plugged into the booster in my living room

2.80-90 via wireless in my bedroom (right next to the router)

1.00 via ethernet cable plugged directly into the hub itself.

BT are refusing to accept that there is an issue with my line and keep fobbing me off with Boosters and telling me to keep it plugged in.  I'm quite far from my exchange, I'm sick to death of speaking to the call centre and just being put off every single time.

Can anyone please advise me? I'm honestly so fed up with this now as its been going on for over a year that I'm actually thinking about selling up and moving to somewhere (ensuring I check where Virgin is installed this time!!)

Thanks for any help you can provide and sorry its such a long thread but I'm desperate to try and get this fixed as I really don't want the solution to be to move house...

Regards

Matt

Distinguished Sage

Re: Random slow speeds

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response - I rang 17070 option 2 and there is no noise on the line.

I couldn't find technical log as you instructed but I think you may mean these stats?

This makes it all look ok I think, typical! haha Smiley Sad

connection2.jpgconnection.jpgconnection3.jpg

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

which hub are you using  the stats needed are in the hub manager pages 

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Sage

BT will only accept wired speedtest results as wireless is subject to much external interference could you also post the further diagnostic part of the speed test

Try a Search
Distinguished Sage

you have a 6.6 Mbps connection which is way above the BT Wholesale checker estimate the connection speed is the speed quoted when you order as download speeds will vary constantly depending on general internet activity

Try a Search