Beginner
moretvicar

Recent slow speed problem on established connection

I have an 8Mb connection and untill recently for two or three years a download speed averaging 6.2.

Over the last few months it has dropped to 1.7-1.8.

I have spent several fruitless hours to the helpline to no avail.

They say the line is running at 8.1 therefore the problem must be with the premises - several possibilities offered, from computer slowing down due to hdd filling up to dust accumulating in connections................

Tried a laptop and ethernet cable into router and get exactly the same test results.

Anyone help please?

Ta

Nick

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Recent slow speed problem on established connection

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, could you please read the web page that is shown below, which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.

When you have done that, please follow the instructions at the end, and post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

Speed and disconnections

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
imjolly

after reading keith's link can you run btspeedtester and post the results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
moretvicar

Hopefully this is whats needed.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.64 Mbps  For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400 Kbps-2 Mbps.  Additional Information:  Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)  IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected

Connection time: 0 days, 11:06:22

Downstream: 7.938 Mbps

Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency type: Fast

Noise margin (Down/Up): 10.4 dB / 25.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 21.7 dB / 11.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up): 10 / 0

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up): 6 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 195 / 48

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Your IP profile may be stuck at 2Mb, however you only seem to have been connected for 11 hours, is there any reason for this?

If you have been restarting your home hub, then that would cause the profile to drop.

You must leave your home hub turned on and connected to your phone line for at least five days.

During that time, do not reset or disconnect it.

If your download speed has not increased after that time, then return to this thread for assistance.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
imjolly

if the reason for the short connection time is due to helpdesk asking you to reset then I would not wait but contact the mods now as I think your profile is stuck at 2mb and needs assistance 

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
moretvicar

I havent got the WM number off the bill (had a ruthless sort out recently) is there any other way to obtain it?

Sage
john46

if you have set up MYBT you should be able to find your account number there
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Login to your online account at bt.com.