Aspiring Contributor
googoogajoob

Server Not Found/Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Hi,

I've been having a problem with browsing on the internet for the last week and a half where completely at random when I'm browsing Firefox won't load the page and says for example 'Server Not Found - Firefox can't find the server at community.bt.com.' This is not a Firefox issue as Internet Explorer also has the same problem but says 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'.

Sometimes the problem manifests itself in websites not even trying to load, just showing that Server Not Found page instantly, and then refreshing the page about 30 times causes it to load again. Other times it tries to load for a really long time then shows that page and there's nothing I can do about it other than wait 20 minutes to an hour for it to suddenly work again. This happens for all sites regardless of location. I'm quite lucky that I even managed to make it onto this site and got it to load!

I have tried everything from swapping the modem over, flushing the DNS, removing the network adapter in Device Manager, changing settings in the browsers etc, I can only summise that it must be something on the connection end now. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Aspiring Expert
MikeFlint

Re: Server Not Found/Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

The 'server not found' usually means a DNS problem. If you don't know, a DNS is the thing that converts a domain name like 'www.bbc.co.uk' into its IP address (e.g. 212.58.246.159). This needs to happen as your browser doesn't really know how to handle names, only IP addresses. Each ISP provides a set of "DNS servers" that are responsible for doing the translation. When you connect your Home Hub talks to BT and gets handed a set of servers to use - these are IP addresses of course, as names wouldn't work.

It sounds to me as though either BT are having DNS problems (I haven't noticed any); or your DNS Servers haven't been updated recently.

The settings (in Windows) for your home hub connections should say to 'dynamically get DNS' (or something like that). It is possible to use a fixed set, but that's not a good idea in general.

You can find out what you are using by typing 'ipconfig /all' at a command prompt.

You should check that the values match what are given in your home hub, on the internet config page. My are currently:

Primary DNS: 194.72.9.34
Secondary DNS: 62.6.40.178
Aspiring Contributor
googoogajoob

Thanks for your reply. As I stated in my initial message I have flushed the DNS because that should be the cause of the problem. Also, the DNS is set dynamically on my Netgear router that hasn't had any problems ever before. I only was given a home hub 2 months ago despite being with BT as an ISP for over 10 years. I got it out and swapped it over and no difference, the problem was still there.

Upon typing 'ipconfig /all' it says:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3 [the computer]
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 [the router]
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Then something about lease obtained today, expires saturday.

In my router settings, the DNS is set to a similar 194.72.x.x to yours which is confirmed as a BT DNS...

Bit of a mystery!

Thanks again for your reply.

Aspiring Expert
MikeFlint

Sorry - I missed that bit. The only other thing I can suggest it to check the routing tables on your PC to see if there is anything stray in there.

But if your netgear works, then it would seem to imply a problem with the home hub. Is it a Home Hub 2.0 ... I've heard that one bath of these (either the 'a' or 'b' version) has some problems, and this could be one of them.

Unfortunately since v1.5 (I think) BT have shut down telnet access to the hub, so you're pretty much stuck if it's not working(!)

Aspiring Contributor
googoogajoob

What I mean is that the problem is still there whether I use the Netgear or the Home Hub so the problem isn't with either of them.

Aspiring Expert
MikeFlint

Is it happening now? Do you have an example? We could compare tracert's ...
Aspiring Contributor
JackieMMM

Might not be the same problem but I had  "Page not found" on Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer on both Desktop (Windows 7) and Laptop (on XP) after upgrading to iTunes to 9.1 on my Windows 7 computer.  I use a D-Link Router and had to keep restarting it only for the connection to the internet to apparently drop again although my internal network was ok. I noticed that my laptop connected fine if the Desktop was turned off so searched and found on the Apple Support Forum that there is a problem with Windows 7 and the Bonjour update so the suggestion was to disable or uninstall Bonjour.  Disabling Bonjour means I won't be able to use AppleTV or AirTunes (no problem for me) but iTunes works fine and I have not had connection issues since.  

Beginner
PROBE

[ Edited ]

(The annoying error) Internet Explorer cannot display this page  Solved

This problem can be solved in seconds with just 8 or 10 clicks of your mouse. As you are reading this you are already in Internet explorer. At the top left hand side of your screen you should see the below words.

File   Edit   View   Favourites   Tools   Help 

If you can't see the above words then right click on any blank area on the third bar from the top of your screen and click on menu bar

Now click on Tools then click on Internet Options.  Then click on the Advanced tab at the top right hand side of that page.  Now click on the Reset button near the bottom right hand side. Now close and then re-open your Internet explorer.

That's it folks you're all done!  Best regards to you all, PROBE