Aspiring Contributor
al-cohol20

Sign in attempt failed

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with a problem I am having at the moment when trying to log in to my broadband account since this Monday evening.

I tried several times that night to log in by clicking start and then the broadband icon at the top of the start menu but failed.

I tried again early on Tuesday morning and failed directly but could get on by opening Firefox and then typing in bt yahoo.co.uk/ail to access it.

Since then I have tried several times to sign in and failed and have removed all bt software,-re-installed it several times,checked system,looked on the Internet as I had a message appear when I was installing the software to say motive smartbridge auto update,seen a small grey screen when putting back the software showing a line scrolling past as though software is installing and gotten an Internet explorer error message saying problem with desktop help,also a small box appears saying sorry,the attempt to sign in failed.

I have also removed the old Internet explorer browser as suggested by bt and re-installed Internet explorer 8 for bt yahoo several times but nothing seems to work at all.

Someone on another site suggested that I clear my browser cache and I have done this but still nothing.

I honestly do not know what to do.

Sage
imjolly

Re: Sign in attempt failed

assuming you are using IE8 have you checked your are not set to 'work offline'?  open IE8 then go to tools and see if work offline has a tick - if so click and then work online.  might help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
al-cohol20

Hello.

I had a look at what you suggested and it is not set to work offline.

Ian

Sage
imjolly

is it all sites that have a problem?   do you have flashplayer installed?  many sites require that to work.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
al-cohol20

Hi.

So far i have had to reinstall my operating system software via back up cd's again,reinstall software i had before,reinstall the bt software again,downloaded flash player,downloaded the latest version of bt desktop help and checked computer remotely and installed service pack3,installed all software from microsft listed under the express setting from them including internet explorer 8 and so far i still cannot sign in to bt broadband except remotely via Firefox.

Still getting sorry,sign in attempt failed.

I am at a loss to know what to do as i don't want to start messing with any settings that i am not sure of and mess things up.

Ian

Expert
Outcast_Aussie

Not quite sure what you mean by only being able to sign in remotely via Firefox ?

That IS the way to sign in. There's nothing remote about it !

Correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect the icon you're used to clicking on merely opens a browser (probably Internet Explorer) at the correct log in page for BT Broadband and that particular way of logging in now ceases to work ?

That sounds like a cache issue with Internet Explorer. Is there a "Forget Passwords" option in IE ?

I don't know about IE as I ceased to use that abomination quite a few years ago but I do know it exists in FireFox.

You can always make a bookmark in Firefox that will do exactly the same as the desktop icon.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
Aspiring Contributor
al-cohol20

Hi outcast.

I sign in via Firefox in the way that you say but would like to be able to click on the bt broadband icon which was working on last Sunday but sudenly not on Monday night and be allowed access instead of getting sorry,attempt to sign in failed each time.

I will have to look at the cache issue which you mention as well as the forget passwords option for it but i cannot recall if there is such a thing.

What i can do is as you suggest and make a bookmark in Firefox which would certainly help.

I know that ie can be a pig and hopefully i'll find a solution.

Guru
AllanQuatermain

IMHO the BT software has the capacity to add to your woes, not to help solve them.  I'd bin the lot, and sign in via a bookmarked landing page as others have suggested.

The only time I sign in to BT is to tidy up the e mails by moving all my inbox mails to a "read emails" folder on the BT Yahoo mail page.  Otherwise, all that seems to be on offer is bloatware.  I use Mozilla Thunderbird for e mail and Firefox as my browser.  No problems with either.  Hope you get it sorted.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Expert
Outcast_Aussie

You could always do THIS  <--- Little youtube vid i knocked up for you !! (boost the res to 720 though, if not higher)

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
Aspiring Contributor
al-cohol20

Okay so far two days ago i reinstalled all my software from the back up cd's to start afresh,reinstalled the bt software,downloaded the latest flash player,bt desktop help and had a message saying i needed service pack 3 for XP,downloaded all the microsoft software via the express section as well as internet explorer8 and then internet explorer 8 for bt yahoo.

I have had an email from a bt engineer giving me two internet links which speak of the problem being caused by what i emntioned and it's possibilty of being a spybot and after looking at them they are useless.

No information as to how i may fix the problem at all.

Today as i still cannot log in directly via the bt icon i went on to the bt site and downloaded from and then used the piece of software to remove the bt yahoo browser as well as downloading the ie 8 for bt yahoo again.

I used the removal software and then installed ie 8 for bt yahoo,reinstalled the bt software and tried again with exactly the same message sorry,attempt to sign in failed.

I feel as if i am going in circles chasing my own tail.