Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

Slow download rate

Since last week my download rate hass dropped.  I used to download files at 300kb/s - 600kb/s but now im lucky if i get 100kb/s.  I have been in contact with bt and they have done line check etc and say nothing is wrong. 

I went over my download limit last month by 50gig so ive now changed my tarrif to unlimited use. Would me going over by so much make bt cap my bandwidth?

Here is the speedtest i did

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
516 Kbps

0 Kbps500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 516 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4032 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 747 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 10.97:20.9:68.13 (SBE:NBESmiley TongueBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
686 Kbps

0 Kbps747 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 686 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 747 Kbps

Aspiring Contributor

Re: Slow download rate

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 01:51:17
Downstream1,151 Kbps
Upstream888 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)13.2 dB / 12.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)35.3 dB / 17.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up)13.6 dBm / 1.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)61 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)0 / 0

Thought id post my home hub results too in case needed. 

Contributor

you have only been connected for just under 2 hours, either you hub is resetting itself alot or you are manually doing it to see if you can gain better speed, either way this will affect your ip profile and it will drop and drop in an effort to stabalize your connection, if you remain connected for 2-3 days without loosing connection then your ip profile should raise on its own as it is a self regulating figure.

Aspiring Contributor

It has been re booted because i upgraded my tariff and received the home hub which i have connected today. I know that is not the problem as i had another router connected before with no resets and still had a slow rate. 

Do my results seem ok? Have i been capped and just have to wait? Seems unfair if i have been capped as i have upgraded to unlimited use and nothing has changed.

Why all of a sudden have a got such bad speeds? Makes no sense when everything has been ok for years. Ive checked everything BT has asked me to do!!!

Contributor

did the upgrade go live today, if you have just upgraded to unlimited then there is a 10 day training period you have to go through, this would explain the hub resetting, i no its a pain in the **bleep** but it should start to pick up after the 10 day training period is over.

Aspiring Contributor

Surely my download speed should be faster than my upload speed???
Contributor

not with an ip profile of 350 it wouldnt be.

Aspiring Contributor

Upgrade was on sat. That can't be the problem as i had the same slow download before i upgraded. Thats the only reason i upgraded as i thought they might have capped my bandwidth due to going way over my usage.

Im starting to wish i didnt upgrade but just cancel my contract with BT which ive had for 8 years.
Contributor

all i can tell you is BT will not investigate anything on your line whilst you are in the 10 day training period, if the training period is not the issue then maybe contact bt's online live chat, they have been very helpful to me whenever i have had a issue.

Distinguished Sage

the speedtester and the adsl stats must have been at different times as the speedtester showws down as4mb but asdl stas show 1mb  reset inbetween?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.