Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Re: Slow upload speed

Thanks for looking into this but I'm rather annoyed that I'm stuck at a top upload of .28 when my neighbour has got just under a meg.

All my wiring has been checked, where do we go from here as Im not getting whats advertised?

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Upload speeds are not quoted also not guarenteed this applies to all providers not just BT

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

So you are saying there is no more that can be done, you have looked everywhere? What about my neighbours speed, how come he gets 4 times what I do?

I do appreciate your help but it is rather frustrating. Working from home and not being able to use VOIP all the time is hard to explain to the boss!

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Its not that straightforward.

From a technical aspect, upload speed will be badly affected by interference on the line in the 25KHz to 138KHz frequency range.

This can be due to cable imbalance, or other cable fault. Sometime this can be heard on the phone as noise or hum.

It can also be caused by interference from switched mode power supply units, LED light drivers, and fluorescent lights.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

That will show any noise in the audio range, which may be extending into the frequency band mentioned above.

Unfortunately the HH4 does not provide any useful information about the error rate on either the upload or the download frequency ranges.

It may be worth getting an ADSL router which gives a better indication.

Sometimes simply disconnecting the ADSL input, waiting 20 second, then reconnecting it again, can improve the upload connection rate.

It odd however, that its stuck on 448Kbs, as that is the upload connection speed for ADSL Max.

I would be inclined to leave everything alone for a couple of weeks, then try a reboot again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (personal website) is back online with lots of useful info for BT customers. Some links may be out-of-date, but I will update them when I get time.

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

I know its been a while since I updated you on my situation, but I still have a poor upload speed however, I now have a Home Hub 6!

I stilll have an upload speed of 440k which matches ADSL Max speeds, my download is fine. The max data speeds showing on the hub is a lot higher than what I am getting. Is there nothing at your end limiting my upload speed as my line is fine with no noise on it at all. Please help as its doing my head in! Its been restarted many times since my last post, I just want to able to work from home without issue Smiley Sad

hh6.jpg

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

There must be something at the exchange or software related that is limiting my upload to a maximum of 448k which are ADSL Max speeds, it never ever goes over it. Please can you check again, I was stuck with two phone lines when I first moved into this house 7 years ago and it took me a while to realise I was paying for both.

Surely if it was interference it would go over 448 at some point?

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

as the mods have already posted the have checked with BT Wholesale and there is no cap on your upload and also as Keith posted in message 14 low upload can be caused by many forms of interference as his post shows

no if the interference source is continues it will not change
unfortunately the hub 6 like the hub 4 does not show the errors that would help in seeing were the problem may be

have you recently retried the quiet line test

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

I have done another line test and its noiseless, a very very faint humm, so faint an engineer would say nothing is wrong and charge me another £129. I have had an engineer here all day testing the line, changing cables, changing equipment at the exchange (which stopped the constant disconnects) as previously mentioned.

As Keith said "It odd however, that its stuck on 448Kbs, as that is the upload connection speed for ADSL Max.|"

I have moved the Home Hub from where it was to nearer the socket to reduce interference and I am still not going over ADSL Max speeds for upload, it never goes over 448k.

I have a Draytek I can plug in if that would give you more information than a HH4 or HH6?

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Being a bank holiday and it raining outside I decided to remove anything that could cause interference, after an hour or so the only things in my house powered on are the computer and the hub, nothing can be interfering. Still stuck at ADSL max upload speed. I'm sorry but there is something at your end limiting my upload speed, there can be no other explaination.

hh62.jpg

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

this sort of interference can be any where from your home to the exchange it can even be from a neighbouring property

Try a Search