Aspiring Contributor
Muddeh

Socket Question

Hi guys,

Question for you regarding sockets.

When we moved to our new house nearly 3 years ago, we paid for a "2nd line" as I work from home a lot.

When the BT engineer turned up, he didnt fit a new socket for the 2nd line, he tweaked something in the metal strip thing outside the house (grey metal cable cover type thing) and voila the upstairs socket became the 2nd line.

So downstairs (2 part faceplate socket type thing) = one phone number,

upstairs (one piece face plate) = separate phone number + broadband.

Each gets a separate bill and has it own account number.

Should an NTE5 or whatever they are called have been fitted as the master for the new line ?

Now the reason I ask this, is recently when I've been trouble shooting my broadband connection (which is on the second line) BT keep asking me to plug the router into the test socket and they find it hard to accept that the BT installed 2nd line doesn't have a test socket as it is an all in one faceplate.

Will having a proper socket improve things? I've read that it may. I also cant plug the router into the test socket downstairs as that's a completely different line and doesn't have broadband.

Incidentally up until the the recent upset, everything has functioned perfectly for nearly 3 years so im not too fussy what colour or flavour of socket is there as long as it works.

Any thoughts ?

Contributor
harrybeadlebaum

Re: Socket Question

[ Edited ]

Muddeh wrote:

Hi guys,

Question for you regarding sockets.

When we moved to our new house nearly 3 years ago, we paid for a "2nd line" as I work from home a lot.

When the BT engineer turned up, he didnt fit a new socket for the 2nd line, he tweaked something in the metal strip thing outside the house (grey metal cable cover type thing) and voila the upstairs socket became the 2nd line.

So downstairs (2 part faceplate socket type thing) = one phone number,

upstairs (one piece face plate) = separate phone number + broadband.

Each gets a separate bill and has it own account number.

Should an NTE5 or whatever they are called have been fitted as the master for the new line ?

Hi and welcome to the forum,

For reference, this is what a standard NTE5 socket looks like: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPNTE5.html?source=froogle

If your a business customer then they might not have bothered to fit one, as they are normally installed so that domestic customers can fit their own extensions.

Now the reason I ask this, is recently when I've been trouble shooting my broadband connection (which is on the second line) BT keep asking me to plug the router into the test socket and they find it hard to accept that the BT installed 2nd line doesn't have a test socket as it is an all in one faceplate.

Will having a proper socket improve things?

IMO, probably not. Though if you did have a NTE5 fitted then you could then have a seperate socket for your broadband and a telephone, which saves you having to use an ADSL micro filter, and looks a lot neater too: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPNTE5ADSL.html

But if you can get BT to fit one for free, then go for it! :smileywink:

I've read that it may. I also cant plug the router into the test socket downstairs as that's a completely different line and doesn't have broadband.

Incidentally up until the the recent upset, everything has functioned perfectly for nearly 3 years so im not too fussy what colour or flavour of socket is there as long as it works.

Any thoughts ?

Good luck :smileyhappy: