Aspiring Contributor
fv1620
Accepted Solution

Suddenly can't use old freeserve email

Joined BT in July. Set up a btinternet email, a gmail & my old freeserve email. Been working fine on 2 PCs, 2 phones & 2 pads. But today the freeserve one won't work on any device.

I can send on my freeserve but can't receive. I just get a bad username/password message.

I have googled around but the posts on most forums are 5-10 years old. I just wonder if the freesrve server is down temporarily or is shut down or BT is trying tomake me use my btinternet account more often?

Has anyone else got this problem?

Curiously my mailwasher server is set as pop.freeserve.com & then my Thunderbird server is set at pop.orangehome.co.uk Previously freeserve emails would be accepted through both settings, but neither individually will accept it now.

I know I could drop the freeserve email but it had a novel user name for me & besides sometimes people I had forgotten about years ago resurface out of the blue. So I don't want to lose the freeserve facility.

Anyone else got this? If the server is out of commission ok fine I can wait, but I have no way of finding out if this is a permanent shut down. I can't think contacting Orange will do me much good as I am no longer a customer & even when I was they were generally not much help which is why I came to BT.

Sage
john46

Re: Suddenly can't use old freeserve email

Hi most isps close down email accounts after a period of time once you no longer have broadband service from them I would think that is what has happened to you
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
fv1620

Thanks for coming back.

I persisted though going into the Orange page which required me to log in but this wasn't accepted. Then I saw the password had to be reset as I hadn't logged in since early July & a new password was required after 31/7/11. That didn't work, but didn't surprise me as I'm not a customer any more.

I rummaged around old links I had for previous account retrievals.

https://membercentre.orange.co.uk/MCPres/login.do?linkfrom=sitemap_&link=link_1&article=helpsupports...

Just put in my freeserve email & put in the old password, then it took me to the account retrieval page, then the next page that asks you to print off the page then download something. I remember from previous resettings that I had to every 90 days. That once you are at this page your account is retrieved & no more action is required, don't download or install anything!

This is odd as when I was a customer I never used the wanadoo or orange emails just the freeserve one & I had to reactivate that after 90 days. Well it is 176 days since I left Orange, yet I have read elsewhere reactivation would be needed after 219 days. So looks like I ought to dump the freeserve within the next 43 days in case I get chopped off then.:smileywink:

Sage
john46

glad to have helped
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’