Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert

This is BT's last chance, or I am leaving

[ Edited ]

Over the last week my broadband has gone down from 5 megs to 0.5 megs. The internet isn't even useable any more. I am extremely unhappy and considering I am paying over £30 pounds and you would think that I might get a decent internet connection.

I rang up their support today and I was told that my IP profile would increase and they would call me back in 4 hours and it would be better.

They call be back and it's no better. I don't know what they did but they obviously didn't do much. The person on the phone says it will take more time to fix and he will call another time. I get a call randomly at about 7PM asking if the speed is better and they tell me that the IP profile needs increasing and it will take 68 hours to do. I told them right from the beggining that my IP profile but they obviously don't listen and waste a day trying to diagnose something which I have already told them.

There is no way that I am waiting 68 hours for somebody to put my IP profile up. I don't even get told, "sorry about this." They just presume I will be okay with an internet speed of 0.5 mbps which makes the internet unuseable.

I am extremely hacked off and I have emailed BT's CEO but I doubt he will reply. I would really like this sorted or BT can say goodbye to my £30 a month for phone and broadband.

I would have run a BT speedtest but it's telling me that's it's not available on my number for some stupid reason. So I'll just leave you my line stats. I am using a Netgear DGN2000. I know the stats say I have only been connected for  10 minutes but I have been trying to do endless things to make the IP profile improve. Some things I have been told to do by BT and some I have done my self.

PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA138316830384182900:12:26
LAN10M/100M258729180211693100:13:14
WLAN11M/54M/130M0000000:00:00

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed3680 kbps448 kbps
Line Attenuation48.0 db20.0 db
Noise Margin15.6 db23.0 db

Thanks for any help in advance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was helpful, please give me a star by clicking the star on the left hand side.

Thank you.
Distinguished Sage

Re: This is BT's last chance, or I am leaving

I'm sorry but it looks like all the things you have been trying to improve your connection have backfired on you and you are back to where you started or maybe even worse.  looks like you are in the 40% and need to be patient until your profile recovers.

you can always email the mods and see if they will help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Expert

I have got a reply from the BT CEO. He said that they might look into it. Which is good news. I'll keep you posted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was helpful, please give me a star by clicking the star on the left hand side.

Thank you.
Distinguished Guru

[ Edited ]

robo878 wrote:

I am extremely hacked off and I have emailed BT's CEO but I doubt he will reply.

Trust me, you'll get a replySmiley Wink

When did you send it?

edit. There you go.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Expert

I have just got a reply. He said they might look into it. Will he get it sorted?

Thank you.
Distinguished Sage

simple answer is yes but then as others have said elsewhere on this forum patience is the only true cure for your problem constantly trying to reset your router is the worst thing you can do when your profile returns please resist the temptation to reset the hub old saying don't try and fix what is not broken also remember before broadband in the days of dial up you got 56 kand still could use the internet so 500k is not unusable many have that normally

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Guru

robo878 wrote:

I have just got a reply.

Yes, noticed thatSmiley Wink

He said they might look into it.

Depending on "might look into it"- he'll probably pass it on the someone with some authority.

They'll check your line history.

Possibly even look at what you've been doing.

Will he get it sorted?

If it's something at BT's end, I guess so.

Although I've not been following any threads on this, best to leave it (the hub/router) well alone and connected 24/7.

If there was a fault, which may have been fixed, it should sort itself out...

Distinguished Sage

can I take it you don't recommend any of the ideas to reset your profile other than mods or patience?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru

[ Edited ]

edit. See message 12.

I guess the above is aimed at me.

You can take it how you like, I'm only replying to comments by the OP on this thread only.Smiley Happy

BTW, I would recommend any ideas that could/would increase an IP profile.Smiley Happy

As I wrote "Although I've not been following any threads on this" means just that, I don't know what has been recommended on any other threads.
Nor do I know what the OP has been trying, which may have had a negative impact, possibly increasing the healing time.
My first reply on this thread was only advising the OP that the CEO reads any email's sent to him personally, when sent at the weekend.
I can see on this thread that the OP has made contact with the HD and has been told that the IP profile would increase.
Then the OP has been told that more time was needed.

Maybe BT have been trying at their end, whilst the OP has been trying at his end.
I'd of thought that by resetting it multiple times isn't going to help but that would depend on how many resets have been carried out and when the reset was carried out.

The reason I suggested "best to leave it (the hub/router) well alone and connected 24/7" is based on the OP's contact with the HD.
Also "If there was a fault, which may have been fixed, it should sort itself out..." means that BT may well have reset the IP Profile and that the IP profile should then sort itself out, if the connection isn't being constantly reset.

Anyway, based on my own experience
My IP profile took a diveSmiley Sad
Called India as it was quickerSmiley Wink
Asked why has my IP profile droppedSmiley Surprised
Was told it'll be increased within 24 hoursSmiley Indifferent
Didn't touch anything at my endSmiley Happy
With in 12 hours, all back to normalSmiley Very Happy
Got a call backSmiley Surprised
Pleased as pig in poop was ISmiley Tongue

Although I don't need to explain myself to anyone, I hope this answers your Q.Smiley Wink

Distinguished Sage

@DS  no it is not aimed at you - why would I do that? 

It was for robo878 from previous posts http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Getting-IP-Profile-Increased-Quicker/td-p/86935

I hope you see the relevance now and nothing to do with your postSmiley Wink