Aspiring Expert
Fredo

To Any Mod - Contacts Problem - Contacts not loading - on main BT BB Mail Account

[ Edited ]

I seem to be plagued by a continuing problem by which my contacts fail to load on my main BT BB email account - this has gone on for some time on and off and seems to resolve itself. it is back today and I got the following message:

"There was a temporary problem accessing your address book. Please try again in 10 minutes. If you continue to see this problem, please notify customer support. Thank you."

Has anyone else had/resolved this problem?

Cheers

Matt

Update

I have heard from BT Technical Help who have suggested this problem is caused by:

"In this regard I would like to inform you that if you are using the BT Yahoo! Browser you might face some issues with adding the addresses in the Address Book as the BT Yahoo! Browser is not up to date at the moment by BT."

The problem is I simply can't access my address book/contacts using the BT Yahoo Mail.

Is this problem likely to be fixed as it is not the first time it has happened in the last 12 months it is a real inconvenience.

Matt

Community Manager
SeanD

Re: To Any Mod - Contacts Problem - Contacts not loading - on main BT BB Mail Account

Hi Fredo,

Thanks for the post and sorry to hear you are having these problems.  I am happy to look into this for you.  Do you have problems with your contacts via Web mail or via an email client like outlook? Or is it both? 

Please drop me an email with your BT account details and the email address you are accessing, I will run some checks from my end to get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Sean

BTCare Community Manager

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry that we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Re: To Any Mod - Contacts Problem - Contacts not loading - on main BT BB Mail Account

This was happening regularly to me to, but only intermittently, when I was accessing my account by Webmail.   It's not an issue when you use a client, as the client does not use the realtime Contact list on BTYahoo.

The problem seems to be due to all the new scripting on the BTYahoo email pages which slow the page loading and occasionally cause it to hang.  It can be cured (usually) by closing and reopening the browser.  Simply starting a new instance of the webpage or closing it and opening it won't work.

Prevention is always better than cure and there is a solution that helps - use Firefox 3.6 as the browser and install AdBlock Plus.  It won't completely stop the problem happening (don't know why - but I will figure it out in time), but it will reduce how often it happens and get rid of some intrusive advertising as well!

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Aspiring Expert
Fredo

Hi GD. Running Firefox 3.6 with AdBlock Plus and still having the same problem.

Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Can you get to the Contacts list at all - even by restarting Firefox?

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Aspiring Expert
Fredo

No, not at all. The suggestion from BT Tech Help was to use BT Yahoo Mail Classic - even this doesn't work.

Aspiring Expert
Fredo

One of the Mods is looking in to this persisting problem for me.

I still get the same error message when I try and open my contact list and of course as a result I can't even rebuild my address book.

When I send an email I get an error message as the address of the recipient can't be added to my address book as BT Yahoo Mail can't access it.

This sounds like a problem at BT's end rather than at my end.

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

[ Edited ]

this might be a dumb suggestion but the contact list opens as a java applet, do you have java aplets allowed for the browser or rejected by default? i cant remeber exactly but there was a setting to enable java on certain websites only and reject it from others, also wether or not page scripting and redirects are allowed or blocked can affect the way pages work.

and have you tried accessing the site with a different browser to see if you still have the smae problems?

i personally stopped using ff as my primary browser about 3 months ago when i started having lots of problems trying to access various websites.

Aspiring Expert
Fredo

[ Edited ]

Hi NanoTm.

Yes the Java Applets are enabled. And I have tried different browsers on different computers and even tried using Outlook - my BT contacts list would not import to Outlook because of the problem!

The BT Helpline gave me a host of solutions, all of which were very basic and none of which worked including switching to BT Yahoo Email Classic, and using Firefox 3.6 as General D had suggested. Oh, and one bright spark suggested re-inputting my contacts - the contact list/address book can't be accessed at all so adding my contacts again is an absolute none-starter.

Interestingly this is not a problem with my BT mail sub-accounts where all is running well (tempting fate!). Unfortunately my sub-accounts and main accounts don't have common contact lists!

PS when I send and email BT Yahoo Mail tries to add the recipient's details to my contact list and this fails with a message along the lines of "Oooops - unable to access your contact list".

Aspiring Expert
NanoTm

[ Edited ]

do you use anything other than browsers to access the account? by anything i mean is there more than one device online and loggedin to the mail account or more than one form of conenction ot the same account on the pc, like desktop laptop mobile plamtop touchpad etc

for instance if you setup yahoo messneger and outlook and or livemail or thunderbird (or anyother mail client) are all connected to the service, if that is the case try useing task manager to end the process of each and every program which would connect to the yahoo service, give it a few mins while explorer reloads then using just 1 browser try conencting to your web mail account and see if the contacts list now works.

might sound strange biut when my mobile was linked to my webmail account i couldnt use parts of it with my pc i fixed it by turning off the mobiles wifi while i was at home.

oh and if you use outlook to monitor your mail it normally runs at startup as a backround program links to all the accounts and locks out connectivity for other methods of mail managment (chances are you told outlook to use the main account contacts list only) so it could be the cause and changing the startup list fro your pc would fix the problem.