ms
ms

Unable to connect a wireless printer with Home Hub 2

Hi ,

I have a Dell multifunction all in one printer with a wireless card. I have wasted nearly 2 weeks trying to get the home hub to recognise it-- It will only work when it is connected by USB to a laptop which is wirelessly recognised by the Home hub ---but that destroys the whole point of having a wireless printer in some other part of the house completely!!!!

I have followed all instructions correctly and the printer can see the network and I have set it up correctly to register on the network--SSID passcode etc.  --the problem lies with the home hub. I am alos not technically incompetent!

I have spoken to a colleague at work who had the same problem--he solved it by buying another wireless router which he attached to the Home hub by wire and then was able to set up wireless printing on his home network. To do this he turned off the wireless function on the HH2--  why bother with BT kit then?

Is this correct--that BT Home Hub 2 has major problems connecting wireless printers?

If not what do I have to do please?  I have wasted so much time on this- I am resistant to buying another router and will just cancel BT broadband altogether and move elsewhere.

thanks

Expert
geaves

Re: Unable to connect a wireless printer with Home Hub 2

[ Edited ]

ms wrote:

Hi ,

I have a Dell multifunction all in one printer with a wireless card. I have wasted nearly 2 weeks trying to get the home hub to recognise it-- It will only work when it is connected by USB to a laptop which is wirelessly recognised by the Home hub ---but that destroys the whole point of having a wireless printer in some other part of the house completely!!!!

I have followed all instructions correctly and the printer can see the network and I have set it up correctly to register on the network--SSID passcode etc.  --the problem lies with the home hub. I am alos not technically incompetent!

I have spoken to a colleague at work who had the same problem--he solved it by buying another wireless router which he attached to the Home hub by wire and then was able to set up wireless printing on his home network. To do this he turned off the wireless function on the HH2--  why bother with BT kit then?

Is this correct--that BT Home Hub 2 has major problems connecting wireless printers?

If not what do I have to do please? 

What's your O/S?

Connect the printer to the USB port on the hub, this will give the printer an IP adress of 192.168.1.253, enter that address into a web browser.....hopefully, fingers crossed you should get a Web GUI for the printer, from here you can configure relevant networking, i.e. dhcp settings, SSID, Network Key (WEP or WPA the default for the hub is WPA) you would then apply settings, also give the printer a name in GUI as this will help with the next step.

If all goes well login to your Hub, Advanced Settings, Home Network, click refresh button, if the printer is seen by the Hub it will be displayed under wireless connections. Click on the blue text this will bring up the IP info for the printer, 'Always use the same IP address' select Yes then click apply.

If you've got this far it should now work :smileyhappy: within yoiur O/S install/add printer, select network printer, your O/S will now scan the network and should find the printer, continue with the installation instructions after selecting the printer and it should work.

However, 'some' multi function printers will only print across the network, they will not scan.

I have wasted so much time on this- I am resistant to buying another router and will just cancel BT broadband altogether and move elsewhere.

thanks

Good Luck :smileyhappy:

Whoops!! forgot the obvious once you get this set up wirelessly and the Hub can see the printer, dont forget to unplug it from the usb :smileywink: