Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Re: Unstable high latency problems

try the other link I posted

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

I have now got a new lead (in case the lead was bad) to connect my router directly to the test socket, face plate removed hence eliminating the rest of the house, home plugs dissconnected etc so I will monitor my ping rates etc over a few days and see what happens which will also give it time to settle and maybe remove the interleaved latency and change it to fast. Time will tell

a couple of hours after setting it up like this i run a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 my results are coming back between 200ms to 700ms

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

some of the things posted in my last link are causes of line errors and can affect latency

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Further update since my last post. I have now got my hub wired directly into the master test socket via a new filter.

I contacted BT via phone and they reset my line. Results were promising for the first 2 days suffering little to no lag so the lattency seemed to be cured by the line reset. Then on day 3 back to the same high lattency prior to the reset. This evening I decided to bring the console tv etc up to the router so that I could hard wire it with a cat 5 cable directly to the hub. The results were much the same ping rates anything from 200ms to 600ms. So that has rulled out the wifi and home plugs. Also I should add when I tried this everything else in the house was powered off at its source except for the fridge and solar panels. 

A lot of people would not be aware of there lattency for general surfing but online gaming is very dependent on lattency. 

I have attached a screenshot of my hub stats and you can see my 'up' noise margin is still very high as is my line attenuation can these be adjusted as I know you can via sky broadband. Just wondering if my upload was slightly higher would this in turn not bring down my ping rate as the data could move faster. It may also change my lattency type from interleaved.

IMG_1874.PNG

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Your attenuation cannot be altered as that is relative to your line length and only down stream noise margin can be changed
you have the maximum upload speed for ADSL MAX

Try a Search
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Thank you John for your fast replies. Just done a quick speed test 3.43 down 0.08 up and ping 247ms

Is the low upload results and the high ping not connected. If the ping was lower then would the upload not be higher and vice versa. 

There is definitely a problem somewhere.  

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

You are on ADSL Max which has a maximum of 448K upload and 8Mbps download the ping has nothing to do with the speed

Try a Search
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Try a Search
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

bt168.png

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

bt ip profile.png