Expert
neilmorgan

Usage Monitor

I'm on the top unlimited (limited to 100GB) package

Last month I received a warning that I was at 80GB and if I reached 100GB I would be capped to a silly speed for the following 30 days which would also screw up my up to 100GB fair use policy for the following month because it would be so slow I would be nowhere near able to use it.

If BT wishes to impose these rules could we please have an online usage monitor?

If the answer is no then can you please remove the limit on the unlimited package until you can?   

Re: Usage Monitor

This question has been asked so many times now - which doesn't make it any less relevant, just a darned sight more pressing that a sensible answer is provided.  It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man - or even firmware/software engineers - to write something to do the job.

It could either be software, coded into the HH firmware, or a bit of both.

Don't care how its solved, but it needs solving quickly!

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Aspiring Expert
mikejones

Dont hold your breath.
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

Thanks, I was going purple!

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Expert
neilmorgan

General,

It really isn't all that difficult.

I've heard that people have rung up to get a reading so that means it exists.

If BT can see it that means it will be on some kind of database, probably accessed by a web page.

We have access to BT's databases for phone packages.

All we need is a similar setup for BB usage.

So no, it isn't beyond the wit of man.

Hi Neil,

Such a download monitor already exists and is available from here:

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/partner-lp_download-monitor-customer-comments/broadband-download-m...

It works well.

All the best.

Anon

Distinguished Guru
DS

I am one of those people. I got my useage from customer retentions (that's another story).

Like neil I'm on the upto 100gb and paying good money for it.

What did suprise me is that in the last 6 months I've only managed a maximum of 4.5gb.

Shame the 95.5 can't be rolled over like I have been!

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Expert
neilmorgan

Thanks but does this give BTs version of the figures and does it take into account 3 or 4 computers that are attached at various times plus HTC620 and another WiFi internet phone. It would have to exclude Visionbox usage too. Oh and I don't use a homehub due to several issues so I hope it isn't dependent on the type of router. 

does it monitor based on the traffic at the router? if it does then it should be hunky dory for me. Not that I could ever hit the 100gb limit with a 500kbps connection.

Aspiring Contributor
Anon

Neil,

I don't know that I can answer all your questions. So, I'll do my best and then I would say - try it - and put it to the test. The proof of the pudding...and all that.

I think it's probably necessary to install this utility on all your computers. That's what I've done. It does not appear to be dependent on the type of router. I'm using a Netgear DG834G with no problems of which I'm aware. I should point out that this utility is not a BT product but seems to be offered by a company called Broadband Choices.

Forgive me. I'm going to have to leave my PC until tomorrow as I haven't eaten for eight hours!

Good luck!

Anon