Uberseehandel

Using A BT Home Hub (v.2) to extend Network

We have a BT Business Hub Network that handles our internal wired network and Internet access requirements. It also provides Wireless cover.

After renovations we have just moved the office to the back of the building, where there is no WiFi connectivity, but we do have wired ethernet connectivity that works (I'm using it now to write this).

We would like to use a spare BT Home Hub (v.2) as a network extender / bridge, providing:

Wider Wireless(WiFi) Coverage at the rear of the building

Wired ethernet connectivity - two PCs and a printer.

I understand that to make this work i have to -

Turn off DHCP on the home hub

Set a fixed IP address that is outside the range managed by the Business Hub

set the gateway to that of the Business Hub Gateway

Change the name and protocols of the Home Hub's Wireless network to match that of the Business Hub

Make sure that the Business Hub and Home Hub broadcast on different Wireless channels.

Once this has been done I should be able to plug in a PC to a Home Hub ethernet port and access the network, or access through the Home Hub's Wireless network

I have been able to change the wireless configuration, but not the any of the Broadband/Internet configuration values.

How do I change the address of the Home Hub without connecting to BT's ADSL service (I don't want to disconnect the existing service). The (annoying) user friendly software is stopping me from accessing the values I need to change.

All help much appreciated

R+C

Expert
geaves

Re: Using A BT Home Hub (v.2) to extend Network

[ Edited ]

Hi, and welcome.

What you are trying to achieve is here http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html whilst it uses 2 HH's the principle will be the same.

Contributor
chas2209

Hi

If I understand you correctly, you seem to be making heavy work of extending your network.

Why not just connect a cheap wireless ethernet router (not a adsl modem hub) to your existing ethernet connection

in your new office, and away you go. But remember your bandwidth will reduce with each additional connection you

make.

Hope this helps

Chas

Uberseehandel

Chas

Yup I take the point about cheap - in this case free is the cheapest option and the Home Hub is free, so...

in this sort of situation the 'helpful' set up wizard gets in the way. Sad to say, this is "MUCH" easier with DTAG.

R+C

Uberseehandel

Geaves

Thanks for that link, I'll go through it and report how I get on.

R+C

Expert
geaves

Uberseehandel wrote:

Geaves

Thanks for that link, I'll go through it and report how I get on.

R+C

Was wondering how you had got on with this, I have a 2700 as a back up and a spare HH2 to go with it.