Corky

Very slow broadband

Over the last 2 or 3 weeks my broadband has got much slower.  Once upon a time we could stream anything from the internet without a problem.  We live out in the sticks so we don't have super fast access anyway.  But it was quicker, ten times quicker!!!  I have run a BT speed test and a download speed of 83 kbps was recorded.  However when I ran the test from the 'Gadget Show' website it recorded a measley 12kbps.  How do I determine which is the correct reading and what can I do to improve it. Funilly enough after I ran these tests my line dropped and I could only get reconnected after I had turned my hub off.  I am not an IT guru so if somebody replies can you do it in plain speak please!! Thanks

Sage
imjolly

Re: Very slow broadband

welcome to the forum 

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected to the NTE5 master or test socket or somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Corky

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected <script type="text/javascript"></script>
Connection time0 days, 04:02:04
Downstream2,240 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.1 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.2 dB / 19.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)56.3 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)3.8 dBm / 1.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)4684 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)20 / 6
HEC Errors (Down/Up)158 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)13 / 2

we have only the one incoming socket connected.  It is so old it doesn't have a test socket behind it.  We have no other phones connected apart from the hub phone because every time the phones rang the line went down so we took them out.  Have previously had bt check for noise levels and they say ok but we weren't convinced, we often used to get crackling or some interference.  Will try the quiet line test but to do that I'll have to disconnect my broadband again( I have no filters connected because they all stopped working and I dont' have anything else connected to the line-just my hub). Last time it took ages to reconnect!! Cheers 'Distinguished guru', Corky

Expert
chris6273

Corky wrote:

I have no filters connected because they all stopped working and I dont' have anything else connected to the line-just my hub). Last time it took ages to reconnect!! Cheers 'Distinguished guru', Corky

I think that is the reason why your connection is so flaky. I tried to plug the hub straight into the master socket a year ago without a filter and my Line Attenuation shot up from 13dB to over 63dB!

I think the best step would be to grab a microfilter from a computer store or order one off the internet (I recommend the ADSLnation XF-1e Microfilter).

I hope this helps

Like this post? Give it a Star :smileyvery-happy:. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Corky

we took the filter off over a year ago and have had no problems so why the need for a filter now?

Sage
imjolly

I don't think you need a filter if there is nothing connected to the line apart from the router.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Corky

I don't think we need a filter (not that I know what I'm talking about!!) it's just that since we took the filters and phones off we have had very few problems until now.  What next??????

Sage
imjolly

you need to run btspeedtester and post the results but you should also try and do the quiet line test.  If there is any hiss or crackle on your line then that nees to be fixed as it is not helping your broadband

Corky

I did a speed test this morning and the results follow this one taken just now

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
1569 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 1569 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2240 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps

This is the one from this morning

he one from this Test comprises of Best Effort Test: O -provides background information.

Download  Speed 83 Kbps

O Kbps

250 Kbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 83 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds** is 50-250 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

How come this has changed so drastically?

I will now try the noise test on my line