Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Very slow internet connection!

[ Edited ]

Hi, Basically we've been with BT for about a year now, and we've had no problems whatsoever in regards to the internet - great speeds etc. It was all going well up until Friday when the internet just slowed right down! It takes forever for a simple page to load up and we can't play any videos at all on Youtube/iPlayer either.

We're on option 3 - which is unlimited but just wondering is there a fair usage policy ? If so mabye we've been capped ? We do use the internet a lot hence the unlimited plan! 

We tried doing a few speed test: speedtest.net & BT speed test, but neither of them load up because of the slow internet. The only info we can get is from the hub manager (Home Hub 3 btw) which is: 

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 16:27:46
Downstream:2.711 Mbps
Upstream:888 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):

6.1 dB / 6.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up):33.3 dB / 18.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.8 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 5379
CRC Events (Down/Up):3037963 / 20566

I have no idea what any of that means, I'm no good with computers... so can anyone help please ?? 

We also tried restarting the hub & changing the channel to no avail :smileysad:

Distinguished Sage

Re: Very slow internet connection!

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

also post your full hub stats details shown in this link http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/others/adslstats.html

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

You could also check this link out and if fitted remove the belll wire  from terminal 3 of all sockets 

http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

Also  there is NO cap on option 3 broadband that is what the word unlimited means  you can down load an unlimited amount of data per month 

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage

also please try to stop restarting the hub this can cause problems with your connection and your speed
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor

Here is the full ADSL settings:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 17:45:02
Downstream:2.711 Mbps
Upstream:888 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.0 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):33.3 dB / 18.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.8 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 5379
CRC Events (Down/Up):3262368 / 20588
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):1891131 / 225206
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):63912 / 33106

I can't access the BT speed tester at all.. it won't load up, I tried it in both IE & Chrome but it just won't load.. which is probably due to the internet speed. I've been trying it since yesterday. 

I've also plugged my laptop in via the ethernet cable incase that made any difference but it hasn't. 

I haven't plugged the router through the test socket.. I will do that and see what happens though.. if I take the front plate thing off, it won't muck up the wiring will it? 

I only restarted it yesterday to see if that would help but it didn't and I moved it downstairs to the master socket aswell.

Thanks for the reply 

Contributor

I also done the quiet line test and I didn't hear anything.
Distinguished Sage

using the test socket is a standard request that BT will ask you to do just remove it carefully also at that time check for the bell wire from terminal 3
your connection speed should be adequate to load the speed test
Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

something is certainly affecting your connection you should be connecting at approx 13mb  have yo by any chance a sky box connected to the phone line if so  can you disconnect it from the phone socket 

Contributor

Right okay, I'll do it and post here what happens.

When I use the BT speed tester in IE.. I get the page to type in the number.. and then it comes up with checking the line.. but then after that it comes to a blank page and stops loading. Just done it now a few times, and the same thing happened. The speedtester doesn't even load in Chrome.

It was working perfectly fine up until Friday, so I have no idea what's happening!
Contributor

And no we don't have any Sky boxes connected to the phone line. I thought it was just mabye my laptop playing up.. but the net is slow on everything - iPhone, PS3 & the other computers.
Distinguished Sage

it does have occasional problems just a matter of keeping trying check to see if you have the latest version of java installed