Beginner
Robbie3twist

Warning to all bt customers

I only feel that all should know about the worse service i have ever had from any company in the world. At the begining of july i lost service to both my phone and broadband. A Enginneer came round and swapped a pair of wires over to resume service. A week later service started to slow down again. Then lost service again. On the 19th july phoned fault desk at 9am to tell them i had no service. Thursday was the earliest they could send someone round. I managed to get a enginneer round on wednesday 21st. he arrived at 11am and left at 4pm. According to his equipment all was fixed. During the day his manager came round he started to lay into him about how slow he was and also that his van was untidy. All this on my property and in my time. After he left i tried to get on line but no joy, i had a line speed of 122k. Two empty tins of baked beans and a piece of string would have been faster. After many phone calls bt tells me that a engineer would be round on friday to fix the fault. So lets do the maths, 3 days off work at £150 per day = £450.00 loss of wages. Plus im paying for a service im not receiving.

I worked it out that it would be cheaper to cancel and pay the £120.00 fee and go to VIRGIN MEDIA. So i tried but all i got was sorry department busy, must be others leaving. On 2 occasions i got through and then the line went dead.

I have lost count on how many times i have heard the word sorry, sorry for keeping you waiting, can i put you on hold and many other scripted phrases.

Service level agreements are get out clauses of paying compensation. I beleive 4 days is the cut off point. Well my fault has been more than four days.

While typing this i received a text from bt on text short code 64364 saying that my fault is fixed. If i have further problems phone. Well its not fixed, but very clever false accounting. As the job is closed and fixed within 4 days no compensation. I now ring them again and they have another week to fix.

Thanks BT thank you very much.

Aspiring Expert
Sweeney47

Re: Warning to all bt customers

unfortunately everyone is a BT customer, even if your ISP is not BT you're likely to be running on BT equipment which is run by BT Openreach (different from BT Broadband or whatever its official name is). The problems you describe seem to be due to Openreaches dodgy work so even if you went to Virgin, it's likely to have the same issues as its caused by the equipment (rather than someone at BT turning switches off).

It is however shoddy that after 3 engineers etc it's still not fixed, just keep hounding them, making records of speeds/disconnects etc. If at any point they tell you they wont help you anymore, you can always consider ofcom/otelo

Beginner
Robbie3twist

Download  Speed
118 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 118 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Aspiring Expert
Sweeney47

[ Edited ]

your ip profile has plummeted most likely because of the issues you've had. You need to leave your router connected for at least 72 hours to see an improvement (as in no disconnects+unplugging).

You may be able to get one of the forum staff to 'reset' your IP profile. Email them at:

forum.moderation.team@bt.com

with a link to this thread.

Beginner
Robbie3twist

Thanks for the advice but i had my profile re done last night and the tech girl told me that her computer was telling her that it would take about 5 hours.

Even if this was going to work i should be getting more than 120k. I got 2mb on the first day of connection and that only took a few hours to reach 7mb. The exchange is only down the road.

2 hours and still no return call from BT.

I cant ring them again to hear them say sorry, thank you for being patient, it makes me angry and that wont help.

Looks like im trapped in their webb of lies and excuses. Bet you i get a call soon asking why i stopped my direct debits.

Aspiring Expert
Sweeney47

you are connected at 8128... meaning you 'should' be getting the full 8Mbps. What has happened is because of your issues/disconnects the exchange has reduced your connection speed in an attempt to make the connection more stable. It needs 72 hours of solid connection in order for the exchange to increase your IP profile. 72 hours is a very long time and makes your internet useless with that speed which is why I recommend you email the forum team, they are very good at helping people with issues like this and get the job done... rather than the call centers which seem to... well just fail.

Beginner
Robbie3twist

Thanks i've just emailed them and linked the thread.

Contributor
SteveAustin

If you go to virgin on cable, it's not operated or in connection with BT in any way. The only way that would happen is if cable was not in your area and you still went with Virgin over the BT network, which would also be at a different price to what Virgin mainly advertise. Any other provider will almost certainly use some part of the BT group in some way.

That's the bottom line....
Beginner
Robbie3twist

Thanks for the info. I only wished i'd listened to others and stayed away from bt.

Still no return call.

Beginner
Robbie3twist

Download  Speed
116 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 116 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Its getting slower. Soon i will be on 56k dial up on freeserve.