gnarlybole

What does an SNR reset actually do?

Hi, A quick recap of my problem. For 3 years I have had had a stable 3Mbps+ internet connection. However, over the past few months I have been experiencing line dropouts (some a few seconds in duration, others up to ten minutes) along with falling connection speed. I contacted my ISP - the excellent NewNet - who instituted an SNR reset. Following the reset the dropouts disappeared and my line speed rocketed to 7Mbps! BT eventually applied a profile of 5500kbps and our 'real' speed fell back to 4.5Mbps. Unfortunately, after a week of trouble-free broadband the dropouts started again and our line speed began to fall. We are currently at 1.5Mbps. Newnet instituted a line test and discovered a copper wire problem. BT insisted that there wasn't one, but promised to send out an engineer. They didn't, and instead promptly closed the case. I have since contacted them again and they have offered to send out 'another' engineer. The problem is, they have instilled in my mind that the fault might be related to our house wiring or equipment in which case we will be liable to their £99 call-out charge. Could an SNR reset have temporarily cured a 'consumer side' problem (router, house wiring, etc), or is it more likely that the problem is at the exchange? Pinpointing an intermittent problem of this kind is virtually impossible without monitoring the line, and I would like to rule out all possibilities before calling in an engineer and potentially landing myself with a hefty bill. Thanks for your time.

Sage
imjolly

Re: What does an SNR reset actually do?

[ Edited ]

this is a community forum for BT retail customers where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods.

you need to check your line for noise by dialing 17070 if with bt for phone  this should be quiet

you need to conenct to the test socket which is behind bottom half of master if socket looks lijke this  test socket.jpg

if you have extension sockets then you need to check for bellwire on terminal 3 and if there remove from all sockets

really you should go to your forum for your own ISP

you can read this which will expkain about SNR  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

SNR does not "do" anything, its simply indicates how much margin is left, that could be used to carry extra information.

The higher the SNR, the more stable the connection will be, but the speed will be lower.

BT normally set a "target SNR" of 3dB, which under ideal conditions, will give the maximum connection speed.

If your line has lots of errors, this can be increased to the old target SNR of 6dB.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
john46

You need to contact your ISP as this is for BT retail customers and BT Retail cannot help you if you have a line fault then your ISP need to contact OPENREACH who are responsible for line maintenance not BT
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
gnarlybole

Thank you for the explanation, Keith. I'm afraid I'm not au fait with telecom terminology. Now that I know what SNR is, how do you think a line reset can have boosted my connection speed and resolved the dropout problem? And why was the effect only temporary?
Sage
imjolly

by lowering your noise margin in the router your conenction speed increased but was short lived probably due to noise on your line.  this thencaused your conenction to drop with resulting increase in noise margin and decrease in conenction speed

you need to solve the noise on your line before you get a stable connection  I gave you some ideas in my first post

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
gnarlybole

Thank you, imjolly. As you suggested, I have just taken a look at the master socket. It is not an NTE5. As this is a rented property I have no idea when it was installed, but as it has an old British Telecom T logo on the case I assume that it is probably 25-30 years old. Could an ageing capacitor be the cause of my problems?
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

The capacitor is only for the old style bells, and for line testing

See this link for help

Speed and connection problems

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
john46

Without openreach being called in to resolve the noise problem it will be difficult to say what the problem may be
you really need to get your ISP to contact Openreach

If you can hear noise on your phone when you dial the quiet line test then you need to contact BT faults on 151 and report noise on the line but do not mention broadband if you call
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
dfenceman

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

SNR does not "do" anything, its simply indicates how much margin is left, that could be used to carry extra information.

The higher the SNR, the more stable the connection will be, but the speed will be lower.

BT normally set a "target SNR" of 3dB, which under ideal conditions, will give the maximum connection speed.

If your line has lots of errors, this can be increased to the old target SNR of 6dB.

Hi Keith_Beddoe,

Many thanks for that explanation.  Although I had an inlling of what Noise Margin meant this made it much clearer and easy to pass on to other people.

However, it begs this question.  Why, since my noise margin has dropped from just above 6dB to just under 3dB, has my speed not increased at all ?  Line rate 3.063 and IP Profile 2.77.

Best regards,

dfenceman

PS - Apologies to the topic starter for the intrusion

Best regards,
dfenceman