Beginner
rodale

Wholesale Broadband Speed Test

I test my broadband speed with 5 different products.  It is no surprise that the results vary a bit between the products; however I have noticed that the BT Wholesale speed test reports speeds about 20% higher that the other products.

Clearly it is in BT's interest to show faster speeds but maybe I am just growing cynical after 2 years of endless problems with the highy volatile service provided by BT.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Wholesale Broadband Speed Test

It will do, as its the nearest point in the network, and does not have to route over the whole Internet.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
dfenceman

Hi Keith,

As we have discussed elsewhere though is it right that it reports download speeds above one's IP Profile and even downstream speeds at times ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
Sage
imjolly

dfenceman wrote:

Hi Keith,

As we have discussed elsewhere though is it right that it reports download speeds above one's IP Profile and even downstream speeds at times ?

it's not correct in these instances but these cases a few bearing in mind the number of speedtests actually run

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Expert
dfenceman

Hi imjolly,

How are you doing ?

Just thought I would let you know that the "new" speed test is still returning download speeds above my IP Profile, although it is some time since the download speed was above my connection speed.

Another villager at a similar distance from the exchange is also experiencing the same thing, viz:- 

1. Best Effort Test:   -provides background information.

Download  Speed

1.93 Mbps

0 Mbps

2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.93 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.66 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:   -provides background information.

Upload Speed

0.32 Mbps

0 Mbps

0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed  achieved during the test was - 0.32Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

Could this be an exchange quirk or is this a new way of BT making customers feel happier about their speeds :smileywink:?

Best regards,
dfenceman
Sage
imjolly

there have a few posts recently showing exactly the same - a download speed slightly greater than the profile.  problem with new wholesale speedtester?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor
michael37

I checked my speed with a non BT tester and it too gave a speed (7.45Mb/s) slightly over the IP profile (7.32Mb/s) suggesting the issue is with the reporting of the profile.

However that profile seems correct for my sync rate (8219Kb/s), curious!

I suspect one of the figures has a rounding error - question is which one?

Sage
imjolly

profile should be 88.2% of connection speed

Expert
dfenceman

Hi imjolly,

My IP Profile is 88.2% of connection speed, i.e. IP 2.45Mbps, CS 2.711Mbps

Best regards,
dfenceman
Sage
john46

Also the the BT speed tester works within the BT network and unlike other tests that are measured out side the network
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’