Aspiring Contributor
nmitch100
Accepted Solution

Why does my service degrade so badly

Have had broadband installed for a few weeks now (BT HUB3). On the first day all was fine. Since then I've had nothing but problems. I can connect and the service is fine, fifteen minutes later its absolutely dire,for example, just loading a browser goes from three seconds to ten minutes! I tried Ethernet cables, removing the extension lead from the main socket, resetting the hub, rebooting my lap top.

If I use my mobile Internet dongle it works at a consistent rate.

Arrghhhh

Guru
jac_95

Re: Why does my service degrade so badly

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Welcome to BT Retail's Community Forum.

To help us find the problem with your connection please may you see the following steps below:

1) Are you connected by master or test socket?.
2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtester.bt.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, ethernet, connection]
3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 from landline. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.
4) please post adsl line statistics

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3)

cheers

I'm no expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, please could you look at Helping forum members to help you which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.
When you have done that, please post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
nmitch100

Thanks for the swift responses.Okay, here we go... Not entirely sure what is meant by Master and Test socket. I have two BT sockets, I've tried both, one has an extension lead, the other does not but makes no difference. I've tested the speed a few times, varies between 9 and 11 mbps. I've checked the noise with the phone number, all perfectly quite. And the ASDL stats are : Line state: Connected Connection time: 0 days, 02:46:08 Downstream: 10.24 Mbps Upstream: 1.14 Mbps ADSL Settings VPI/VCI: 0/38 Type: PPPoA Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A Latency type: Fast Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.0 dB / 5.9 dB Line attenuation (Down/Up): 31.0 dB / 18.6 dB Output power (Down/Up): 20.4 dBm / 11.9 dBm FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0 CRC Events (Down/Up): 393060 / 36
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

The master socket is the first one as the line enters your house. Can you find one that looks like this?

The main problem with your line are CRC events which could be reduced by having your latency changed to interleaved instead of fast.

But first it would be best to check that there is nothing within your wiring that is causing them.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
nmitch100

Right, no don't have a socket as in the picture. Just had a look and what I appear to have is. Where the line comes in is a single plastic plate held into the wall with two screws. Next to that is the socket that the internal line is plugged into. This is a one piece unit with the connection in the centre.
Sage
john46

this is what the test socket looks like testsocket2.jpg

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

You have the second type as described on my page. If you have everything else unplugged from any extensions and are connected up as I described. There is not much else  you can do with those old type sockets.

You best option would be to ask for your latency to be changed to interleaved, as this should improve your download speed.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to arrange it.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

Aspiring Contributor
nmitch100

afraid not! If you image that but there is just a single front plate not split into two pieces. Two screws either side and the socket right in the centre.
Aspiring Contributor
nmitch100

Right found a photo of one http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/bt-master-socket.html Under item Step 1, the socket in the left of the picture.